Anyone got an old Epson printer

Totally-braindead 23:08 07 Apr 07

The Epson 680 which is rather old but a superb printer doesn't have a Vista driver download. The driver is built into Vista but the program for tracking the amount of ink in the cartridges isn't there, and isn't on the Epson site.
Anyone know of a way round this, theres software for other printers but not for the 680.
I suppose I could try the Windows XP software but I'm not keen on that for obvious reasons.

thms 11:27 08 Apr 07

I have an all in one RX500 and have the same problem.

If you click on printer preferences and select get ink levels it will show you the current level of your ink.

Prefered the pop up box with status monitor though.

Totally-braindead 11:52 08 Apr 07

Just had a look and I see what you mean, theres a scanner driver but no print one for your unit and without the status monitor you don't know how much ink you have left.
Does anyone know what happens if you don't run status monitor? Does it come up with a warning when its running low on ink or just it just carry on printing anyway?

thms 13:04 08 Apr 07

Well I also have an Epson 1290 (A3) connected to win xp computer. I know it needs a new colour cartridge (pending).

So I attached it to Vista computer and it installed drivers ok. Then I selected a photo to print and it just went ahead and attempted to print. No warning or anything. The only indication there is no ink is the flashing light on printer.

If I go to print preferences and click on get ink levels it shows cartridge is empty. So it looks like you will need to open print preferences to check ink levels before you print or rely on flashing light on printer.

Totally-braindead 13:25 08 Apr 07

Unfortunatly I don't have the check ink levels you mention on my 680.

thms 13:52 08 Apr 07

When you open print preferences or properties does it show ink levels greyed out on the main page. If so there should be a button under it get ink levels.

If not your drivers must be different than mine.

Totally-braindead 14:25 08 Apr 07

No I'm afraid my driver must be different.

Totally-braindead 14:16 09 Apr 07

Ticked as resolved as I don't think theres a solution - I presume Epson will not create a Vista driver for my 680.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos