Anty Virous on this PC

March Wind 01:01 AM 31 Oct 13

I am not sure if I have an anty virus on this Lap top. All I can see is malware bytes. I did have Ccleaner on but I took that off. On the advise of someone on this websit. Could you please tell me how do I find out if there is an antivirus on. If I do not have one on which freebee should I use. Also how do I keep this PC clean? When I had XP I use to run Malware Ccleaner I would do a disk clean and defrag now I do not know how to do any of this on Windows 8. Advise pleae what I should have on and which to choose from.

chub_tor 10:20 AM 31 Oct 13

Windows 8 comes with its own antivirus protection called Windows Defender. To see if it is switched on go to Control Panel, then Action Center, Security and click on the down arrow then check under Virus Protection that it says "Windows Defender is helping to protect your PC"

Don't know why anyone on this forum would have advised you to remove CCleaner as it is one of the most valuable utilities to have for maximising disk space. However it does not remove Malware.

One of the most popular programmes for removing malware is Malwarebytes and you can find that with a simple Google search, it is perfectly compatible with Windows 8.

You can still access all the Windows tools for disk clean up and defrag in Windows 8 just as you did in earlier versions of Windows. Go to the desktop and double click on MyPC or ThisPC in 8.1 then when you see your hard drives listed right click and scroll down to Properties. Click on the Tools tab and then on Optimize.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…