£24.99 upgrade - install fresh copy?

Gary Wood 22:57 PM 25 Oct 12

I'm considering the £24.99 upgrade to Windows 8 (from Windows 7). If I buy and download this, can I burn a bootable install disc, and am I able to use this to install Windows 8 from scratch?

I need this to be possible because I spring clean my PC periodically by formatting the C: drive and reinstalling Windows, and I don't want to always have to install Windows 7 and then upgrade it to Windows 8.

woody 23:06 PM 25 Oct 12

Pay a bit more for a non upgrade and you can do what you want. UPGRADE is an UPGRADE from certain OS's thats why its so cheap.

Gary Wood 23:34 PM 25 Oct 12

Thanks, woody. Would it definitely not work if I only had the £25 upgrade? I don't really think Win 8 is worth more than this, so probably won't upgrade in that case. But I remember back to when I got a Windows 95 upgrade and I simply had to put the first Win 3.11 floppy in part way through the installation to validate that I was eligible for upgrade. I could live with putting the Win 7 disc in during 8 installation, but I just don't want to have to fully install Win 7 and then upgrade each time.

woody 15:07 PM 26 Oct 12

Would it definitely not work if I only had the £25 upgrade - I have just paid £25 plus vat £29! - You may think its not worth that.I don't know how much it checks but try google some one may have tried. If you are thinking its a lot -don't bother and look at the reviews. It is unlikely i will use it for more than a test bed - even vista is better but that is only my opinion. I do have a selection of OS's on this test bed and put win 8 pro on top of win 8 with no problems - but the software MAY have looked for other OS on my other HD's

woody 15:42 PM 26 Oct 12

I have just looked at the invoice - i think it is only £25 with vat included.

Zeppelyn 11:22 AM 29 Oct 12

Have a look at this regarding the upgrade dcenarios, this guy knows his stuff.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade-media-144648

Pine Man 16:11 PM 29 Oct 12

When you download the upgrade (£24.99) you get the option of either installing it immediately or saving an ISO file to burn to a DVD for use on a different partition or for reinstallation at a later date.

The only unique thing about the upgrade is that it is sold as a replacement for the operating system that was installed on your computer when the upgrade adviser was run. So if you had a 32 bit os then the upgrade version you are sold is only a 32 bit version.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification rumours: We're just hours away from the OnePlus 2 l2…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Motoman robots: from killing The Terminator to samurai swordmanship

Why Apple's being criticised for everything, even the good things