always crashing in the same Windows 7

YorkshireNed 09 May 13

having a few problems with my laptop.

In it's first year, it bluescreened about 4/5 times, which did not bode well.

Now, it's seriously giving me problems.

A couple of weeks ago it began to freeze up after starting up. I was unable to run anything and pressing control alt delete just brought up a message that this wasn't working. I had to use Samsung recovery to reinstall Windows 7 and that at first seemed to fix it.

However, it does still keep jamming. Not straight away on start up like before, usually, but about once a day. The odd thing is, I can leave it on all night uploading a large HD video file to youtube without issue. However, EVERY time I try to run AVG or defragment the drive, it will jam while doing this.

I have checked Task Manager while its running normally and there is no sign of anything using too much memory or acting up.

Here's some techy info, if it helps

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7 Processor Count: 4 RAM: 4009 Mb Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1812 Mb Hard Drives: C: Total - 164863 MB, Free - 110930 MB; D: Total - 288364 MB, Free - 87397 MB; Motherboard: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD., RV420/RV520/RV720/E3530/S3530/E3420/E3520 Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2013, Updated and Enabled

jaywoo 09 May 13

No need to defragment drive on W7, it does it itself. Ensure your machine is not set to automatically restart when it crashes and post the Stop Code and any drivers (filename on the bluescreen, ending .sys) mentioned in the BSOD text. http://helpdesk.wisc.edu/page.php?id=7049

YorkshireNed 09 May 13

I don't think I have any other security programmes on the PC. During reinstall it did try to force Macfee antivirus on me but I removed it (hate having software forced on me)

Sec /scannow caused a black box to flash up onscreen for a split second then vanish.

Currently running chkdisc. It's taking its time but does seem to have replaced some bad clusters, so fingers crossed.

I must say, I'm really impressed with all your responses. I tried another forum yesterday, one with a high Google ranking, and the replies were unhelpful and inarticulate, unlike you guys weighing in with practical suggestions and coherency.

YorkshireNed 16 May 13

Well, chkdisc did find and repair a few errors and I did seem to be running better but just had my first blue screen in ages. Running Malwarebytes biwm will let you know how it gets on.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Behind the scenes at Silverstone, the 70th British Grand Prix: Hisense starts UK push with Red…

How Found created this skateboard, bike and parkour stunts-laden, single-take car ad

Apple Pay UK launch date, UK user guide and participating UK banks | Apple Pay to launch in UK on 1?…

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message