Almost Comatose W7 Home Premium Laptop

warthog01 15:41 PM 30 Oct 13

Hi

I've tried just about everything I can think of, but my Dell Inspiron remains painfully slow. Symptoms are freezing, multiple jumpy mouse trails while it freezes, slow to load--all of these intermittent, but maddening just the same.

I've run CCleaner, Malwarebytes, SpyBot, and Adaware scans with only a couple suspicious files found (and deleted). I've compacted my Outlook .pst, eliminated all the addons other than indexing, I'm running archiving and have deleted hundreds of old emails.

I'm running Firefox.

I'm fresh out of ideas. Any out there for me?

chub_tor 17:59 PM 30 Oct 13

sounds as if you are running out of memory or hard drive space. Have you checked how much you have free?

wee eddie 22:41 PM 30 Oct 13

Just a thought: disable your Internet Connection and turn off your Anti virus.

Does it still behave this way?

warthog01 10:12 AM 31 Oct 13

Thanks to all for replying. Wee Eddie's suggestion brought a dramatic improvement. I've disabled Kaspersky anti virus and Firewall. Will try re-enabling antivirus and sticking with Windows Firewall--are these compatible?

Despite the great improvement, when I run Windows Memory Diagnostic it identifies a hardware fault. I've removed,cleaned and replaced the memory modules but still get the fault. What next????

nickf 15:07 PM 01 Nov 13

GO onto Crucials website , they will scan your PC/Laptop and tell you what memory you need

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nvidia GRID 2.0 launch boosts virtualised graphics workflows

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites