All docs suddenly become Read Only

Taurus 19:32 27 Feb 14
Answered

Hi everyone, my problem is that I find all my documents, Word, Excel, Publisher, the lot, have become Read Only despite the read only box in Properties being unchecked. I discovered this after I moved my SkyDrive folder into my Documents folder to facilitate network access. Despite moving the skydrive folder back to it's original place my files remain stubbornly 'read only'. I have done a system restore but to no avail. I'm running Office 2007 under Win 8.1.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Taurus 20:55 27 Feb 14

I have been looking further into this and I have found that only when in the Skydrive folder are the read only attributes applied. If I move a file from the Skydrive folder it becomes fully accessable as do the same docs in another skydrive folder on a different computer. The problem I have now discovered is that the Skydrive folder itself is locked into read only mode. When I un-tick the read only box in Properties it goes through the motions of changing the attributes but immediately reverts to being read only complete with ticked box. What can be stopping the change, I am logged in as an administrator.

Taurus 21:31 27 Feb 14
Answer

Well, for the edification of any that may find this while searching at a later date I have found the problem. Somehow when messing about in the bowels of the machine the attributes of my personal folder, the one that bears your name usually, had been changed to read only thereby preventing folders lower in the hierarchy being modified.

As an aside, when bragging to my wife about how lucky it is that I am able to sort out problems, she bought me back to earth with the comment 'If you didn't mess about with the bloody thing it wouldn't get messed up in the first place'. Just like a woman to be 'practical'. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…