All desktop icons are white

dabthoms 13:21 PM 03 Aug 12

All my desktop shortcut icons look like white squares of shredded paper although the links work. I've tried rebuilding the IconCache database to no avail. My OS is windows 7. Any suggestions to aid their recovery welcome.

difarn 14:37 PM 03 Aug 12

Have you tried a restore to a previous time when the icons worked properly?

I have read of this interesting solution:-

"After trying most of what was recommended (system restore, registry edits, rebuilding iconcache.deb in several ways) none of which worked, I finally got my icons back !!! Go here: http://www.stardock.com/products/iconpackager/ and get the trial version of IconPackager, install it, use it to switch to any icon package, then switch back (if you want to) the standard windows icons."

dabthoms 12:07 PM 04 Aug 12

Thanks for your suggestions. I had considered a system restore though Iwasn't too keen to do that. However, after doing the following two or three times I eventually got things sorted. 1. Closed all folder windows that were currently open. 2. Launched Task Manager using the Ctrl+Shift+Esc key sequence. 3. In the Process tab, right-clicked on the Explorer.exe process and selected End Process. 4. Clicked the End process button when asked for confirmation. 5. From the File menu of Task Manager, selected New Task (Run...) 6. Typed cmd.exe, and clicked OK 7. In the Command Prompt window, typed the commands one by one and pressed Enter after each command: (please note the spaces) CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local DEL IconCache.db /a EXIT 8. In Task Manager, clicked File, select New Task (Run...) 9. Typed explorer.exe, and clicked OK.

difarn 12:20 PM 04 Aug 12

Well done.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get your photos turned into illos by some of the world’s best artists

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites