Advise needed regards windows 7 and new PC

drybones 13:13 13 Mar 14

I don't know if this is the correct place for this question but here goes I am thinking of building a new PC as this one is like me getting long in the tooth. If I build a new PC can I use the Windows OS stored on my HDD or would I have to buy another system Disc and start from scratch I don't want Windows 8 I've tried it on a mates computer and don't like it much and would prefer to stick with what I use now. I would welcome help please Drybones

rdave13 13:49 13 Mar 14

If the 'long in the tooth' PC came with Windows 7 (OEM) then you can't transfer the OS as it is tied to the motherboard.

drybones 14:26 13 Mar 14

No it came with Vista on it I bought Windows 7 and put that on does the same thing apply ie is that tied to the motherboard as well if so I had better get another copy of 7 while its still available thanks for your help.

drybones 14:26 13 Mar 14

No it came with Vista on it I bought Windows 7 and put that on does the same thing apply ie is that tied to the motherboard as well if so I had better get another copy of 7 while its still available thanks for your help.

rdave13 14:53 13 Mar 14

Check the DVD paperwork and disk, as long as it doesn't show OEM on it then it's retail and can be used again so long as it is on one PC only.

rdave13 14:56 13 Mar 14

PS, if you got both 32-bit and 64-bit discs in the box then it will be retail.

nickf 19:30 13 Mar 14

Don't dismiss W8 , its easy to set it up to boot to desktop . It is much lighter and quicker than W7 . I use W7 on my gaming PC and W8 on my tablet.I will build my next PC with W8 �/p>

drybones 07:41 14 Mar 14

rdave13 its definitely a retail pack at the moment I have 1 HDD 500gb with 32bit on it which has most of my stuff on it, plus another 500gb HDD with 64 bit OS on it would I have to reinstall the 64 bit OS in a new build ? my present PC is a dell E521 and it is very limited ie I cannot fit a Bigger GPU because of the size of the CPU heat sink Thus the need for new PC. Many Thanks for your help.

rdave13 18:32 14 Mar 14

Yes, you will need to do a fresh install as all your drivers won't match the motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac