Advice on new Windows PC

gav223 09:09 01 Dec 14

Hi.

I have used Windows Laptops in the past, but after a load of problems with them I got fed up and bought a Macbook. In 4 years I have only wiped it and used the installation disk once and upgraded the RAM.

I then had to buy a Windows desktop as I needed to use software that would only run on Windows.

I've had it about 6 weeks now and I'm starting to get fed up with it again. I only use it for internet browsing some software and excel. I have bought macafee for it and there are no viruses.

There seems to be something running in the background even when I have nothing open and have noticed a difference in speed already.

What things can I do to make it running more efficient?

Thanks.

gav223 10:12 01 Dec 14

Hi Jock1e.

Can you confirm if this is what you are telling to get: click here I buy this and run it, will it stop what ever is running in the background?

Thanks.

If

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:53 01 Dec 14

They often come with all sorts of preloaded software that probably needs removing

What make and model of desktop?

spuds 11:15 01 Dec 14

Run a 'add and remove' plus 'start-up' and see what that reveals. If you haven't got CCleaner, then download that, and use that for the suggestion. CCleaner free click here

lotvic 13:39 01 Dec 14

Look in Task Manager and see what you have running. I have currently 58 processes and Services listed running and I only have Firefox open (using Windows7)

gav223 16:57 01 Dec 14

Hi.

It is an Acer Aspire XC-605 Intel Core i3.

It says I have 69 running and I haven't opened anything yet.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:09 01 Dec 14

TRy PCDecrapifier to get rid of some of the unwanted junk.

Use CCleaner to see what is running at start up (Tools - Start up) leave Antivirus and malware to run.

Black viper will advise which services need to be left running and which can be switched off

gav223 17:46 01 Dec 14

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/.

When installing Decrapifier it asked me to choose what things to get rid of, but I wasn't sure. How do I know what I should be getting rid of?

I've just opened CCleaner and there are 15 things at start up with 9 of them enabled. Again I don't know what I should be removing.

When you say "leave Antivirus and Malware to run" I only have Macafee, I haven't bought that Malwarebytres yet. Should I get the one from the link I posted?

Thanks.

gav223 10:30 03 Dec 14

You must have to get a computer degree to run Windows properly.

I have now got Malwarebytes and I have a popup saying malicious website blocked, mod.idlecrawler.com.

There is a tab on it that says exclude website, but I'm guessing I don't want to do that. There's also an x in the top right corner, but it just keeps coming back.

The other thing I have is something called YTDownloader. I have tried uninstalling it, in the normal way and using decrapifier, but nothing happens.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do?

Thanks.

spuds 10:57 03 Dec 14

It sounds as though you might have downloaded something (" I only use it for internet browsing some software and excel"), with a number of nasties on the downloads. It always pays to make sure what and where you are taking downloads from, not all download websites can be trusted.

You will also find quite a lot of information on the internet, about some of the problems you have, including how to usually rid some of the problem software. Not always guaranteed though, so be careful.

Download AWDCleaner click here and Malwarebytes anti-rootkit click here and see if they find anything.

lotvic 14:36 03 Dec 14

Remove YTDownloader adware (it displays popup adverts) how to remove (no cost involved) ClickHere

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…