Advent 8117 laptop screen goes faint

georgeriley 19:40 08 May 14

I have the above laptop when i 1st power it up powers up ok nice n bright .After around 10 seconds it goes dull really faint it has new battery and charger .Any help would be great please

mole1944 05:52 09 May 14

Is it in power saving mode,hover the pointer over the battery icon (Bottom right)and you can adjust it from there.If its on mains all the time it shouldn't make any difference as far as i know,I'll leave anything else to those better placed than myself.

onthelimit1 08:50 10 May 14

When it goes faint, are you able to brighten it back up again?

georgeriley 17:33 10 May 14

not sure as it goes so faint you have to really look for the cursor arrow

onthelimit1 09:09 11 May 14

Hmmm. I'd suspect the video chip, but... You could try plugging in an external monitor to make sure it's not a screen problem (some use an inverter fitted near the bottom of the screen inside the case to generate the image which have been known to fail)

georgeriley 09:55 11 May 14

thanks i will try and ill let you know

georgeriley 11:29 11 May 14

Oh gawd yet another saga ....now when i plug the charger in nothing happens but when i plug a 12 v universal power supply it fires up but its not strong enough to light up the screen

onthelimit1 14:54 13 May 14

Charger failed - cheap as chips Could be that it was failing and not supplying enough umph for the screen.

georgeriley 16:21 13 May 14

The link you gave me would you reccomend these

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…