adobe flash 64 bit on w8 need advice please

sunnystaines 17:03 PM 10 Feb 13

i normally have the following browsers

looking at adobe downloads there is 64bit flash for IE and 64bit for non IE.

now a bit lost in the later firfox and chrome only seem to be 32 bit only so for non IE flash do i download 32bit or 64 bit.

sunnystaines 17:16 PM 10 Feb 13

similar saga with java 7

do i just install 64 bit or both to cover 32 bit firfox/chrome or will two versions of java clash

new to 64 bit

sunnystaines 18:43 PM 10 Feb 13

what did you do about java?

sunnystaines 19:32 PM 10 Feb 13

jock thanks going to set it all tomorrow, no doubt more questions will pop up.

the laptop has a 8gb ssd cache plus hdd trying to read up on this setup i had a change of spec at last min so was not expecting this ssd cache so not sure if TRIM command covers it or not.

alanrwood 21:34 PM 10 Feb 13

If I were you I would simply install the 32 bit versions and use the 32 bit browser version of IE. There is no real advantage to using the 64 bit version

one problem with Java is that downloading and installing the 64 bit version tends to remove the Java icon fro Control Panel so you lose the ability to check for updates manually and to see what version you have installed.

rdave13 22:06 PM 10 Feb 13

IE 10 is 64 bit on 64 bit PCs. alanrwood, no choice except new tabs can open in 32-bit by default on a 64-bit PC. I've changed the option on tabs as 64-bit is more secure.

On 64-bit Windows 8, the browser frame process (both “modern UI” and Desktop) runs 64-bit. However, for compatibility with plug-ins, IE 10 on the desktop runs 32-bit tabs by default. If the user turns on “Enhanced Protected Mode” in Internet Options, Advanced; they will have 64-bit tabs by default for IE 10 on the Desktop.

alanrwood 22:14 PM 10 Feb 13

Sorry I was thinking in Win 7 terms.From what I can understand from the above I would install both versions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Lumia 950 vs Lumia 950 XL: What's the difference between Lumia 950 & 950 XL?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Medium's new logo was designed

iPad Pro vs iPad Air 2 comparison: Which of Apple's flagship iPads is best for you?