Add non-contiguous unallocated space to C drive in Windows 7

mulligan 19:27 25 Aug 14
Answered

I have just upgraded my SSD on Samsung Ultrabook to 256Gb and used Windows Backup to restore image. All now working but additional space is non allocated and is not contiguous. From disc management,

System, 100 MB NTFS, (C:) 92.65GB NTFS Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition Hibernation Partition 4.29GB Recovery Partition 22.20 GB Unallocated 119.23 GB

Windows 7 Disc Management does not allow me to extend Primary Partition into non allocated space as they are not contiguous.

Has anyone successfully managed to do this using free 3rd party software? I am tempted just to add this non allocated space as a new partition for storing files as this looks simple and leave the Primary Partition alone.

canarieslover 19:57 25 Aug 14

It's quite easy to do , but a bit long winded. Download Easeus Partition Master, click on 'Free Edition' Easeus

Use it to view all partitions and space on the drive. You will need to MOVE each partition along to the end of the free space until the free space is contiguous with C: and then you can extend C: to contain this free space. Do it one partition at a time and don't forget to APPLY changes each time. Personally I would do it as quite a lot of programs will save or create temp files on C: and, depending on how many programs you have on your drive and how fastidious you are with housekeeping, you could easily find yourself running low on space on the C: drive. This may noticeably slow your computer and negate the gains of an SSD drive.

mulligan 22:16 25 Aug 14

canarieslover, many thanks for convincing me to get this space onto my system partition. In the end I used AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard which is also free and seemed a bit simpler. R click on unallocated, "Merge partition", tick partition to add it to, ok then apply. This was quite nerve racking but worked. I have only had one error message since, "scc speed boot has stopped working" but this message seems to have gone away and all running fine now. Windows 7 boots in 16 seconds. Again thanks and all the best.

canarieslover 10:39 26 Aug 14

Nice to have the feedback.

fredsboy 11:54 26 Aug 14
Answer

Would this software work on my wife's Toshiba? Her hard drive has a 50-50 split from new and as stated it can be a real pain moving files over. Many downloads don't seem to give the option of selecting the drive yourself and have to be manually moved.

canarieslover 12:46 26 Aug 14

fredsboy Really would be better off starting a new thread for this as you will then get to know when you get replies. It will work for your Toshiba but really you would have to take everything off the D: drive before doing it. You would also have to be sure that the 'Restore to new' files were not on that partition. The alternative if there is a lot of free space on D: is to shrink it to a sensible size and the add the unallocated space to C: You could also MOVE your libraries to the D: drive which would automatically mean that any program that saves to the libraries will put those files on the D: drive.

alanrwood 13:24 26 Aug 14

Just be careful moving partitions if you Computer relies on a hidden recovery partition to reinstall Windows from scratch. Sometimes moving the partitions can make this hidden partition non accessible.

fredsboy 13:50 26 Aug 14

Thanks for the advice. I have a full back up on an external drive in the event of a failure. One comment about moving files however is that my wife has itunes installed and when I moved this it tries to update but cannot find the programme. Nothing I do seems to convince the update as to where the files are!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…