Acer Aspire 5560G won't boot into Windows 7

MoMiah95 16:45 13 Apr 15

Hi there, my Acer Aspire 5560G won't boot me into Windows, it would just stay stuck on the black screen with the windows logo, saying ''Starting Windows''. I even took it into a repair shop and they tried to install a new HDD and reboot the laptop with a new windows 7 CD, but they told me it had problems shutting down and properly loading up,in the end they could not fix it and put back my old HDD into my laptop and I have got it back from them. Any ideas what I should do?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:15 13 Apr 15

Not a lot of hope then if the repair shop can't fix it with a new hard drive.

1. remove battery and mains connection - press and hold power button for 30 seconds - reconnect mains and retry to boot.

2. enter setup (BIOS) and make sure first boot device is the DVD drive and second the HDD. - check hard drives not set to "raid" and see if you can set to "AHCI" - save and exit (F10) - retry to boot.

Daisy_Michael 13:17 14 Apr 15

If nothing goes right even after following the valuable guidelines by Fruit Bat /\0/\ - Try to load the the default settings of BIOS, save and exit.

If you have Windows 7 available, try to boot from it, make a fresh set of partitions (with the system reserve space) and I believe the things would settle.

All the best!

MoMiah95 14:59 14 Apr 15

Thank you for your replies guys, unfortunately I tried all those steps (except for Michaels's windows7 suggestion, since I do not have a windows CD) and it didn't seem to do the trick, it would just stay stuck on the "starting windows" screen. I have asked around on the web and some people are suggesting it might be something to do with my RAM also the repair shop I took it to said that it might of been an over heating problem, so maybe a component inside my laptop might be bust, they asked if they could open my whole laptop up and clean everything and check but I did not have the money to pay for all that. If there is anything else that you guys could advise/suggest me to do, it will be appreciated, if there isn't anything then I guess I gotta pay a lot of cash to get it fully looked at and maybe fixed at the repair shop. Thanks again!

robin_x 16:43 14 Apr 15

I'm not sure what the shop may have actually tried. They may have just given a cursory look and wanted money for the job.

Repeatedly tap F8 after power on and you should get a menu

Try Safe Mode with Networking. If that works Right-click C: (in Explorer) > Properties and Tools/Check for errors with both boxes ticked

Or Try Repair your computer (from the F8 menu) and Command Prompt when you get to the menu

Type chkdsk c: /f /r

=-=-=

You could also make a Linux Ubuntu Live DVD (or USB Flash) on a working computer and see if you can boot from that

(don't Install Ubuntu, just boot for a look-see and if your computer appears to work)

=-=-=

Do you actually have another computer? Or can use friend's/family/neighbour etc?

Do you have backups of all your files and folders?

MoMiah95 17:28 14 Apr 15

Thanks for the reply Robin, will try those steps now.

Yeah I have another computer that I'm using atm and I don't have files backed up unfortunately.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:14 14 Apr 15

sounds like its stuck before it even gets anywhere near windows.

couple of things to try

reset the BIOS to default settings and retry to boot

power off, pull out all the memory and try to boot, it should beep like crazy as it cannot find the memory but may shock it into movement. power off again refit memory and retry.

MoMiah95 18:23 14 Apr 15

I'm not sure what you mean by put out the memory, what does it mean?

Thanks for your reply again bat!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:04 14 Apr 15

turn the laptop over - on the underside will be a small panel - remove the scre and under the panel will be the memory modules. Unclip and remove both.

Boot the laptop with no memory it will beep.

unplug and reinsert memory and then retry to boot

see what happens.

itextrat 18:55 21 Apr 15

Did you check if there are boot problems related to Windows, not hardware? Try bit.ly/1Q5WY7k

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…