90 day trial - activate later?

herbie53 13 Oct 09

Hi,
I have Windows 7 Pro on preorder, if I download the 90 day trial of enterprise, can I select the Professional edition at install, wait 10 days then when my key comes register it and carry on indefinitely?

GaT7 14 Oct 09

From the FAQs click here:

"Q: What happens after the trial-period expires?

A: If you wish to continue to use Windows 7 Enterprise please note that you will be required to purchase and perform a clean installation of Windows 7, including drivers and applications. Please keep this in mind; Windows 7 Enterprise is not available through retail channels."

So I guess the answer to your query is 'No'. G

herbie53 14 Oct 09

I don't think you have fully understood,
I am asking if this is the normal RTM image of Windows 7, meaning I can select the Professional edition at setup rather than enterprise.

Zeppelyn 14 Oct 09

No, you will have to do a clean install of Professional. Enterprise is for businesses only, the 90 day trial is meant for businesses to evaluate not individuals.

Forum Editor 15 Oct 09

is no.

herbie53 15 Oct 09

is rather condescending.

With the consumer editions of Windows 7, it is possible to choose which edition to install, and it seems from further research that the Enterprise disc is different from the consumer editions.

sunnystaines 15 Oct 09

you will need to do a clean install to change version.

Forum Editor 15 Oct 09

If you are referring to my response, you asked a question, and I answered it. There didn't seem much point in elaborating.

The answer to your question is still no, and will remain so, no matter how much a response is wrapped up. Consumer versions come individually on the DVD - you can't choose another version because it won't be on the disc.

herbie53 15 Oct 09

That's not entirely true, I'm pretty sure if a product key is not entered, the user is given the choice of which edition of Windows to install.

JessicaD42 16 Oct 09

Herbie53,

The product key is "baked in" for the Windows 7 Enterprise 90 day evaluation. You will not be able to select a specific version at install nor will you be able to wait on activation.

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Microsoft claims its new VR lens system is better than Oculus Rift's

Apple Music preview: Why Spotify should be scared of Apple's impressive new music-streaming service

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message