64bit, will it still run 32bit stuff

imarcus2 23:56 PM 18 Aug 12

If I upgrade to 64bit, with new kit. Will it compromise the normal (I presume) 32 bit stuff Ihave in abundance?

lotvic 00:42 AM 19 Aug 12

"upgrade to 64bit" You have to do a clean install if going from 32bit to 64bit. You will lose all data on the harddrive and have to reinstall all your extra software programs. I believe 95% of 32bit programs will run okay on 64bit.

Run the advisor and it will tell you what will be okay. There are two tabs info for 32bit and info for 64bit, so you can compare what you have on 32bit with what will be okay on 64bit.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor (info page with link to download)

and here you can check individual programs etc for compatibility

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-gb/Default.aspx

imarcus2 08:26 AM 19 Aug 12

Iotvic

Many thanks for that advice. Having to upgrade to new kit as 7 year old PC has terminally stumbled, so it's a clean sweep job.

Imarcus

Nontek 09:41 AM 19 Aug 12

Before making the move to new kit, you could save all your Docs/Pics and any other important stuff to an external hard-drive or to DVDs, so that you could replace them onto your new setup.

This is exactly what I did in the same circumstances a few months ago, having bought a shiny new laptop to replace my aging desktop.

lotvic 21:56 PM 20 Aug 12

Keep you old Harddrive (if it's ok) if getting new pc, then you can just connect it to new pc as an extra drive for storage and delete the Op sys (but keep your Documents Data).

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification: OP2 confirmed in VR product launch - full OnePlus…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Motoman robots: from killing The Terminator to samurai swordmanship

Why Apple's being criticised for everything, even the good things