64 bit to 32 bit

Stuart Leyland 14:33 26 Mar 07

Hi all.

I bought the 64 bit version of Vista Home Premium a few days after it was released and I've not nothing but problems with it. The computer will randomly hang with seemingly no reason. It does not depend on what action I perform (eg: closing a window always causes a crash) nor which programs are currently running (so it seems). I've reinstalled since my initial installation as I suspected drivers were an issue but the current installation hung with no drivers other than those installed by Vista itself. I had also not installed any other programs at this stage. Recently I updated all the drivers to the newest ones supplied by the manufacturers but the hanging still continues.

I am beginning to suspect that the issue lies with the 64 bit version that I am running and it would be great if I could change to the 32 bit version to test this theory out. Obviously buying another copy of Vista is not a particularly feasible idea as it costs quite a bit of money. I am wondering if there are any other ways round this issue. I am aware of Microsoft offering the ability to upgrade to a "higher" version of Vista but there does not seem to be a method of switching to the 32 bit version.

If anyone could suggest anything (either to stop the hanging or the change to 32 bit Vista), I would be very happy.

Thanks in advance

dth 16:39 26 Mar 07

I thought that the retail version of Vista includes both the 32 or 64 bit versions!

It does sound like a driver issue. Just to double check that it isn't an actual hardware problem it might be worth buying one of the Linux magazines (from W H Smiths and the like) with a 'Live' cd/dvd. This would run from the cd/dvd without upsetting the windows installation and is a good way of ruling things out.

Stuart Leyland 20:18 26 Mar 07

I knew I had missed something out in my original message! The version of Vista I bought was the OEM one and it says on the disc: "This disc contains only 64 bit software".

It does very much sound like driver issues. I am currently running on Windows Basic (as opposed to Windows Aero) in an attempt to rule out the graphics driver. No crashes as yet but we'll see how it goes!

keith-236785 22:06 29 Mar 07

one option would be to download the "evaluation copy" of windows vista and try a clean install of that, you get 30 days trial time which is enough time to see if the problem still exists, if so then it is probably a hardware issue.

rightly or wrongly i downloaded this from limewire to try out vista on my present hardware/software though i believe it was also available from microsoft as a beta version, i dislike the fact that microsofts compatability checker suggests even some microsoft programs such as visual basic 6 will NOT work, i hope it is wrong because i now have a proper paid for version of vista on its way, if it wont then i will have to dual boot winXP which i dont really want to do.

the only problem is that the evaluation trial is the vista ultimate version which may spoil you :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…