5 Windows updates keep failing

Red Devil 08:24 23 Dec 07

Hi all,

OK, I've got a problem with 5 Vista updates that keep failing to install.

They are:-

KB942763
KB933928
KB935280
KB937077
KB938174

The problem seems to be the first one but I can't work out why. The fail code changes each time that I attempt to install these updates and on only one occasion did it return a possible reason when I used the Microsoft online tool - and even then it didn't make sense.

I was told that the Office Source Engine was the reason why it was failing and that I needed to go into Services and disable it temporarily.

Except I don't have that service and don't have Office installed anyway.

Does anyone have any experience of this happening to them too or does anyone have any suggestions on how to get Windows to install this update and the other 4 as well?

Cheers.

BurrWalnut 09:20 23 Dec 07

Windows update error codes click here

Red Devil 09:47 23 Dec 07

I've already said that the error code changes every time I try installing the updates and that they make no sense either.

For example, the one that states I need to disable the Office Source Engine even though I don't have that service installed, let alone running.

So I don't think that site is going to be of much use to me.

But thanks for the reply.

BurrWalnut 09:59 23 Dec 07

This cures most Windows update problems but it will erase your history on the Windows Update Site, which may/may not be hugely important to you.

You need to stop the Windows Update service, rename the software distribution folder then restart the service, as follows :

1. Make sure you are logged on as an Administrator and go to the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Admin Tools > Services then right-click the Windows Update service then click Stop.

2. Go to the Windows Orb (Start), type %windir% in the Start Search box and then press Enter. Locate and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to, say, SoftwareDistributionOLD.

3. Go to the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Admin Tools > Services (Provide the Administrator password or confirmation if prompted to do so) then right-click the Windows Update service then click Start.

4. Try to download the missing updates again.

BurrWalnut 10:05 23 Dec 07

My first paragraph may be misleading. No history is stored on the Windows Update site, it's as per the SoftwareDistribution folder appears to WU, i.e. by renaming it, the history isn't displayed.

anskyber 10:33 23 Dec 07

Try updating them individually and manually? click here

PS do you run Comodo firewall?

Red Devil 10:40 23 Dec 07

Yes to all 3 questions but I have tried disabling Comodo while installing them and they still failed.

anskyber 11:54 23 Dec 07

There are reports that disabling Comodo will not do the trick but uninstalling Comodo will allow the downloads to proceed.

Red Devil 12:22 23 Dec 07

Ok, I'll give it a go and see how I get on.

Red Devil 07:03 12 Mar 08

............it seems to have fixed itself.

I was able to install all the updates that were causing me problems and my PC is now fully up-to-date with Windows updates.

Funny that but all's well that ends well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now