32bit or 64bit?

Bailey08787 16:47 15 Mar 07

This has been raised a few times before, but I'm wondering if they driver issues still exist?

Here is an article on this issue, but it was written in June 06

click here

I have an AMD 64 processor, and therefore am thinking of going for the 64bit version of Vista - but will I still have issues installing devices?

AMD 3500+
2gb ram
Nvidia 6600GT PCI-E
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
Hauppage Nova-T 500 TV card
Netgear 108mbps network card / 834GT Netgear router (soon to be replaced with a Sky router)

Ashrich 19:28 15 Mar 07

Vista and XP 64bit are dead fussy about drivers , they will ONLY load and run drivers that are WHQL certified , no others , so make sure that all your hardware has got these before taking the plunge , you'll have to do a bit of leg work ( Ok , Google work ) to find out , especially the sound card and the TV card , although the router you use will not be affected .

Ashley

Totally-braindead 23:57 15 Mar 07

Do the issues still exist? Yes. Some manufacturers haven't even written the 32 bit drivers never mind the 64 bit ones. And as has been pointed out the driver must be WHQL certified. If they are not then Vista will refuse to install them.
Its up to you but personally I think its too much bother.

Coltch 08:39 16 Mar 07

I would personaly stick with 32 bit Vista at the moment unless you need to run 64 bit applications or need to access large amounts of RAM.

I've used both XP Pro x64 and Vista x64 (RC1) and although very stable driver issues were too much of a problem.

Bailey08787 16:51 16 Mar 07

32bit ordered

tarkus 23:59 18 Mar 07

i run vista ultimate X64 bit version and apart from an old Epson scanner i have had no problems with getting 64 bit drivers for my setup.
Having to use WHQL signed drivers isn't to much trouble and at least you know that any drivers you install have past windows testing. when i had win XP running the only time i ever got a BSOD was with a poorly written driver.
since i installed Vista Ultimate X64 in 1st week of feb i haven't had a single problem and am really enjoying using vista.

HondaMan 11:49 23 Aug 07

Have any problems appeared yet? The reason I am asking is that I am now into a new-build and have the option of adding ooodles of RAM. I understand that only the 64 bit of Vista can access this, hence my question.

HM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…