32 to 64 bit

fonkets 17:10 PM 13 May 13
Answered

Hi all.

I've acquired a computer (4 yr old) that is operating at 32 bit. It has windows 7 installed and has a 64 bit Athlon processor. I'm assuming I can run OS at 64bit. Can I switch to 64 from 32 easily, and will I get any instant benefits? It has 3mb ram fitted, so I presume I can up this with 64bit.

Thanks for any advice.

Nontek 18:30 PM 13 May 13
Answer

It is not possible to change to 64bit from 32bit, you would need to do a full re-install of Win7 from scratch and choose the 64bit option during install.

Nontek 18:32 PM 13 May 13

Click here

you will probably find this Thread interesting, and perhaps helpful.

lotvic 20:33 PM 13 May 13

You won't be able to do a re-install unless you have the W7 Product Key.

If W7 is the oem pre-installed, factory activated variety you will not be able to use the product key that you would find by using a keyfinder (Magical Jelly Bean, SIW etc) as that key cannot be input in an ordinary install.

fonkets 21:23 PM 13 May 13

I have a pukka version of W7 on cd, so reinstalling isn't a prob, but is it worth changing to 64bit given the hassle of backing up and reinstalling everything? Baring in mind I've only 3mb ram and am not gaming or photo/film editing.

Nontek 22:41 PM 13 May 13

Probably not worth all the hassle, I would stick with 32bit.

fonkets 22:51 PM 13 May 13

Thanks all. I shall remain 32bit. I installed a 500mb graphics card this evening.............. woooooosh (by my humble standards)! Now that's made a big difference.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites