I finally solved this myself! My solution is below for anyone else having the same problem.
1) Go into your bios and disable the Sata channel that you have installed your new drive on.
2)Restart computer and go into disk managenment
3)Your new disk should be listed as 'disk 0'
4) right click the left box by the disk 0 drive and select 'initialise disk'
5) Right click the right box and select 'simple volume'
6) follow the instructions that come up in the wizard
7) your new disk should now show up in 'disk management' and 'explorer' with the drive letter you allocated in the wizard.
Hope this helps. Good luck.