Youv'e gotta laff !!

Chas49 19:53 09 Jul 08

I've just received a statement from the Halifax for the princely sum of 1p interest on my bank account. The statement itself must have cost more than that!

jack 20:01 09 Jul 08

are daft.
We regularly get a monthly statement from a mail order catalogue showing nil purchases and zero balance.
In this case they do take the opportunity to stuff the envelope full of bargain leaflets - which we are not going to buy either but they don't know that and on the other hand perhaps one day we may
I don't know that either.
But banks and the like I would have thought could have a system of passing over nil movement in accounts and not issue a statement that time around.

John B 20:05 09 Jul 08

You can, on most accounts, opt for paper-free statements.

wiz-king 21:53 09 Jul 08

Tell me about it!
After long talks with the programmers we have manageed to stop our computer printing monthly statments for accounts are less than £2 in credit or debit, we only do those accounts once a year. The true balance showes on the customer screen so if they place an order it can be adjusted in value but it wont print a monthly statment. Saves the company a fortune in paper and postage.

Chas49 22:14 09 Jul 08

You can, as you say, opt for paperless statements and no doubt it would be better for the bank if we all went down that road. But, as long as I don't have to pay for the printed statement I'll continue to accept it. Being of an age where banks did not offer paper free statements (back in the dark ages!) and printed ones were the norm I find it hard to trust any other method.

As Jack says 'Automated Systems are daft' but imagine the number of staff needed to process statements individually.

Though not related to the banks I remember when, in the 70's, the company I worked for opted to get computerised, saying that it would cut down the paperwork drastically - did it heck! The waste paper previously burnt in an incinerator increased so much that it had to be removed by lorry ! Though, in truth, this was as much down to misuse by the then, non computer savvy personnel (Management included!) printing yards of perforated paper to obtain just one or two items.

Chas49 22:24 09 Jul 08

wiz-king:

The bill, of course, contained the current amount in the account.... plus the 1p.

As you say (and that is something I had forgotten) the bank has to pay for the postage too, so indeed it does make it ridiculous to post such statements as mine. Perhaps the banks should offer some small incentive to opt for paperless statements - then those with computers coupled to the 'net would opt out.

charmingman 23:23 09 Jul 08

WELL HSBC had been calling my wife from this unknown number for two weeks & wouldnt leave her a voicemail but she didnt know it was them so when she DID answer the call from the Indian Call centre they stated that she had gone over her limit on her MasterCard by £2 & that they needed a payment ASAP...??? err maybe the calls would of cost MUCH more eh...

Chas49 00:08 10 Jul 08

charmingman:

Yep! I don't suppose for a minute that the individuals even thought about the cumulative cost - perhaps different people as the calls were over two weeks.

Indian Call Centres - no doubt they do the best they can, but being a little deaf and their not to accurate English when I last had to call them (at 35p per minute!) I was completely shattered that a large company could subject their customers to the ordeal. I left them double quick!!

Bingalau 09:47 10 Jul 08

I used to throw my bank statements away. But then the Inland revenue asked me to produce them for their perusal and I had to go back three years. Getting duplicates from the bank cost me a small fortune. So keep your bank paper statements for at least ten years.

Chas49 11:16 10 Jul 08

forum member:

"Ask yourself how many times you've looked at the statement before last and you'll realise that, once you've checked it, it goes in a file and is never seen again."

In many cases I have no doubt that you are correct in this statement, but you do have possession of it. It costs nothing to store away for possible future need (as Bingalau found out to his cost!)

"If anything, I'd go for a reverse incentive. Anyone who signs up for online banking should get online statements only unless they pay extra to continue with paper."

Should your computer breakdown and you cannot view your statement online then you would be forced to pay (ref. Bingalau's case) through the nose for a printed copy.

I should point out that banks would not exist at all if they had no customers. Customers therefore are very important to banks. As 'valued and needed' customers the least we can expect is that they provide, at no expense, information when we require it.

Bingalau 14:19 10 Jul 08

fourm member. The point of my input was to advise people not to throw away their paper copies for at least ten years. You never know when that dreaded tax man might ask you for them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…