Youtube musicians

Joe R 19:06 24 Jun 08

After reading a thread posted by legolas, I was thinking about how my musical habits have changed.

I have always preferred live performances to record, and if I catch a song on radio that I haven't heard for a while, I have now got into a habit of looking for a cover on youtube.

Sad, some might say, but I have two or three favourite singers now, I tend to listen to, more than my CD collection.

Anyone else got some favourites, I may have missed?

These are my "best" at the moment. click here click here click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:30 24 Jun 08

For what it's worth, one of the best drummers around IMHO, click here make sure your speakers are turned up to the max and really annoy the neighbours ;-)

G

Joe R 19:36 24 Jun 08

GANDALF <|:-)>

first time i've seen him, and i'll be back for another look.

anskyber 19:47 24 Jun 08

Try Jacob Armen click here

JYPX 20:28 24 Jun 08

Has been posted before but still worth watching - Mike Portnoy.

click here

micky d 00:02 25 Jun 08

Nice choice Gandalf!!

Have always rated Travis............from Blink 182 to the Transplants & now plus 44.

Never saw those videos you posted the link to before & i never paticuarly liked those songs before but with Travis doing what he does it's adds a certain something.

I'm going to have to wait 'til the morning to listen again with full volume as the other half is in bed.

Jim Thing 00:20 25 Jun 08

Could you possibly humour this old fogey by explaining exactly how one judges whether a rock drummer is any good? Is it measured in dB? Or by how many bits of kit he can thrash? As far as I can see, rock drummers have no need to concern themselves with the things that demonstrate quality (or lack of it) in, say, a jazz player — things such as understanding ensemble dynamics and how to build tension (is all rock played at full bung?) or how to support a soloist without getting in his way, while the only dexterity technique required of a rock drummer seems to be no more advanced than that involved in hitting a bucket with a stick.

I felt a powerful urge to stop the Travis Barker clip after the first few seconds, but I let it run to the end on the grounds that, if he really is "one of the best drummers around" there was bound to be something to admire in it. But there wasn't — not for me at any rate.

Please don't scoff. I'm a lifelong jazz enthusiast and the rock bug never bit me (as you may have guessed by now). But I'm also genuinely puzzled and this is a serious enquiry: how do rock fans know who's good and who's not?

Quickbeam 00:49 25 Jun 08

"how do rock fans know who's good and who's not?" click here It's just raw aggression... but you have to be able to play too.

Quickbeam 00:56 25 Jun 08

wasn't bad either click here ...

Chegs ®™ 03:09 25 Jun 08

click here

This drummer is sadly no longer with us,but I remember his 1970's release "Dance with the Devil" charted,I certainly didnt expect to find it on youtube though.Here's the website containing all you might want to discover about Cozy Powell click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:42 25 Jun 08

No need to humour you as jazz and rock drumming are poles apart. Also, who is 'the best' is very subjective. I admire TB as he has managed to mix rock and Ghetto beats togehter, a la Run DMC and Aerosmith. His timing is spot on even when doing very complicated beat structures (I'm sure he was mixing 4/7 and 5/7 beats at the same time). Of course, if you are not into Ghetto music (like I am not into jazz) it can be difficult to see any quality but he can sure keep the beat to complicated time signatures.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…