Is your home part of the throw-away society?

TopCat® 17:56 02 Nov 07

When it comes to food, that is. This report is something the more senior members that have lived through the lean years of food rationing will have no difficulty in recognising. click here

Apparently these days, around 6.7 million tonnes of perfectly good food is thrown away each year. It is confined to the composter, in some cases to feeding the rat population but the vast majority goes to the land-fill sites, adding considerably to the methane released. Not only that, it also means these households and families are throwing away up to £400 a year.

The report lays some of the blame on the demise of home economics from the school curriculum, meaning many adults don't know how to prepare decent meals from left-overs, whilst the article by Professor Tim Lang states: "Teaching proper household skills wasn't seen as important for years. Part of the reason for this was progress, that women were able to get out of the kitchen and into work."

That statement doesn't quite tally with me when I think of the number of women in this country that worked many long hours each day, making munitions, tanks, ships and planes for the war effort. At home they cooked meals for their families with the meagre quantities of ingredients rationed to them each week. Nothing ever went to waste then and today, in my home, this still applies. I'm blessed with a wife that is a wonderful cook who can make a meal out of just about anything that's edible. TC.

Marko797 18:19 02 Nov 07

I think the figures *might* be true.

I think also we *do* live in a 'throw away society' and the housewife role (whatever your perception of that might be), as we might have known it, has disappeared, in the main. This is dependent upon which generation you belong to, of course. I also think that many younger wives of today have no interest in cooking a meal from scratch, let alone recycling 'earlier' meals, & even if she did offer to recycle, it would be met with some sort of disdain.

I reckon the microwave has become 'king' mainly, (see how many shelves are full of ready-meals in any supermarket),with take-aways coming a close second. Nutritionaly they are crap, as we know, and can be factored in to high levels of obesity. Seems that we have all become lazy, tired, and wanting a quick fix to everything, and that includes food too.

If this is the case now, what chance do their kids stand in becoming self sufficient & being able to fend for themselves in the future?

sadly yes,
Though it drives m nuts!
My parents are of the same generation that lived through the lean times and thats the way i was also brought up(waste not want not).
My other half though similar upbringing chose to rebel and subsequently has a different approach!
Our daughters will need to meet a couple of rich young men
Meal times consist of four different meals,salad ,fruit and veg are the devil.
However,naturally this always forms part of the weekly shop.
If my parents did the shopping we would save £2000 per annum and be much healthier taboot.
£400 per annum...I wish!

Bingalau 18:45 02 Nov 07

There's no doubt that although we suffered from rationing during WW2 we were better off in the long run. Even now if you look around the streets the older generation looks fitter than the younger one by a long chalk. I don't think there will be an overcrowding problem in this country or a problem looking after the older generation in about twenty or thirty years time. Because they will not reach that age. Many will die from obesity and related illnesses.
Then with "global Warming" and the majority of the land being flooded by rising sea water, who knows what the outcome will be?

Bingalau 18:46 02 Nov 07

By the way, my kids call me "The pessimistic character with the crab apple face"

Marko797 18:51 02 Nov 07

Victor Meldrew, Bingalau. With an outlook like that we might as well all go throw ourselves on the nearest train-track.

Marko797 18:53 02 Nov 07

Monty Python...I remember we had it so 'ard we were living in a shoe box at t'end of t'road etc...ah, but we were 'appy.

oresome 19:10 02 Nov 07

A shoebox! Pure luxury!

Bingalau 19:15 02 Nov 07

fourm member, I even found one idiot who threw away bottles of beer because the date had passed. Now he gives them to me.. If I die from drinking out of date beer at least I will die happy?? Anybody got any out of date rum out there?

Marko797 19:19 02 Nov 07

we shop weekly (not monthly - don't have the storage) and go equipped with our weekly 'menu planner' and associated list. It ain't rocket science. I suppose we adopt the JIT methodology as opposed to keeping a large inventory. It works for us, although the occasional non-menu item (bag of KP cheese n onion flavoured peanuts) do tend to get into the trolley somehow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac