Yougov on the EU

hssutton 16:08 17 Jun 08

Very interesting figures.

14% in favour of ratifying the Lisbon treaty

54% in favour of the government dropping the Lisbon treaty.

Don't knows 35%.

You can download the full figure from click here

Cymro. 16:23 17 Jun 08

So since when is this country ruled by public opinion? The majority of the public have never read the Lisbon treaty and have little idea of what it contains.

That is why we don`t have a referendum on the matter. Even so called experts can`t agree on the matter so how are we poor Jo public suppose to know anything about it?

The truth of the matter is that there is a strong anti E.U. feeling that is wiped up by the press who are only too glad to jump on any band wagon that serves their purpose.

carver 16:36 17 Jun 08

The majority of the public have never read the Lisbon treaty and have little idea of what it contains.
They are not the only ones. If the people who signed the agreement haven't read the full copy and still signed then how is the general public supposed to have any confidence in the EU.
The Irish Prime minister admitted before the referendum that he hadn't read it all but been guided through the main details by other ministers

DieSse 17:21 17 Jun 08

'The Lisbon treaty was drawn up to replace the draft European constitution' i.e. trying to suggest there is no difference between the two.

It's a matter of straight fact that:-

The Lisbon Treaty was drawn up to replace the draft European Constitution.

It's also the case that a number of European heads of state, and the people who actually constructed the treaty did say the two were very closely related.

So your point was?

DieSse 07:45 18 Jun 08

Those who actually did the new treaty are the ones saying it's essentially the same as the defeated one!

And it's not two camps one "opposed to the EU"

Many, many people who do want the EU just don't want the treaty, and want reforms of how the EU operates.

DieSse 11:15 18 Jun 08

"People who know a great deal more about these things than I have decided ......"

Oh well that's alright then.

Personally I prefer to think for myself.

If there was a referendum, as most people seem to want - you would be perfectly entitled to cast a vote, or not cast a vote, as you wish. I presume you think the "yes" votes would lose, as in Ireland?

DieSse 11:19 18 Jun 08

"Well, it doesn't work that way. It's not an a la carte menu."

The main problem is that it jolly well should work that way - and populations should be allowed to decide what kind of Europe they want.

The political elite seem to think they can ride roughshod over peoples views.

And now some of think they can break their own rules with impunity, and ignore the Irish vote.

Ask yourself - if they can ignore one rule about democracy, how many more might they ignore?

lofty29 11:56 18 Jun 08

fourm memeber
"we choose people who we think are bright enough etc". I think you are being over simplistic in that statement, cetainly that is how the ideal should work, but in actual fact we are offered the choice of several main cadidates, selected by others, from who to choose and the majority of voters vote according to the party, not the person, indeed most voters who bother to vote, know very little about the person they are voting for. How many times has the statement been heard" I have always voted X party, I would never vote for that other lot". I consider that the majority of people are too lazy or dissolutioned with politics in the UK to bother, which is sad seeing as how much it took to give everybody the franchise.

Cymro. 11:59 18 Jun 08

It seems to me that all this fuzz about the referendum that we never had has more to do with how much we want to be a member of the E.U. or not. Those who are against our membership want a referendum as they hope it will result in a "no" answer and so delay the inevitably stronger E.U.

There is no doubt that at some time in the distant future we will all live in an United States Of Europe. As far as I am concerned the sooner that comes about the better. So I see no point in a referendum.

A referendum is only of use to politicians who can`t make up their minds as to what to do next and so pamper the electorate with a vote on something that most of them know very little about.

The world is becoming a smaller place and so it is even more important that we learn to live in peace together and that even if nothing else is just what the E.U. has achieved in Europe at least.

hssutton 13:06 18 Jun 08

I'm rather curious as to how many of our MPs have read the treaty, I have spoken to one who admits that he's not read it.

I'm guessing that more than one has not read the treaty and are just doing what they are told by their masters.

Cymro. 13:51 18 Jun 08

"I'm guessing that more than one has not read the treaty and are just doing what they are told by their masters."

Yes I agree, and that is exactly how politics work so why should we have to do their job for them by having a referendum on a matter that even the experts can`t agree on?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017