You have to hand it to the Dutch

TopCat® 19:53 14 Apr 14
Answered

for their simple but effective answer to roads without lights. If this all weather solution catches on then think of the savings in energy these road markings will save. More kudos to the Dutch I think. Do you agree? TC.

illuminating story here

Forum Editor 20:33 14 Apr 14

What an excellent concept; it's great to see people innovating. I'm sure there will be snags along the way, but I hope they'll be overcome. I wish the Dutch the best of luck with this.

wiz-king 06:53 15 Apr 14

May work on main roads where the surface will get a 'recharge' from the car lights but on a early morning in the winter might be a bit dim.

I have some glowing house numbers from Glowtec that have slayed stuck on and glowing for several years.

Quickbeam 07:13 15 Apr 14

It will however make for a road with very dark peripheral area if it replaces current sections that have been lit for safety reasons.

Having spent many years driving trucks in the dark, if you don't have any view of the side area as with lit roads, it's a great strain to drive when you can only stare straight ahead with nothing to keep your eyes and mind alert. It would be like driving in fog all night.

So I don't think it'll be the great safety aid they might think it to be.

Quickbeam 07:14 15 Apr 14

...the mesmerising effect of driving into snow for any distance has a similar effect.

BT 08:17 15 Apr 14

I always thought that the current 'paint' used for road marking had a reflective element that picks up your car lights and shows them up.

spuds 09:22 15 Apr 14

Whether this 'reflective' idea will work long term, then only intensive testing will tell. Reflective devices seem to work in quite a number of environments nowadays.

Not sure about costs or cost saving, but my local council, and I would suspect elsewhere, are always saying how much it costs to maintain lines and signs, either in labour hours or equipment.With the general view that things tend to get neglected in some areas.

Picklefactory 12:56 15 Apr 14

MechKB

Plus...once they'd gone to the expense of laying a trial run, the local water/gas/electricity board would toddle right along behind and dig it all up again.

;o)

Just.me 13:37 15 Apr 14

Will it show up through a layer of snow or even just mud?

Are pedestians going to have to wear lights at night?

Cynical thoughts perhaps, but valid points nevertheles.

wiz-king 16:38 15 Apr 14

Just.me As a horse rider who rides a lot at night in the winter I have found that I need to wear my lights on my boots. Any higher and motorists seem to think I am further away and don't slow down in time even though I am lit up like a Christmas tree with reflective bands.

And it would be nice if cars parked the correct way so that their reflectors worked.

Forum Editor 18:10 15 Apr 14

"I am lit up like a Christmas tree with reflective bands."

Remember The Electric Horseman?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…