You can't make a move these days

Forum Editor 16:51 19 Jan 16

without someone knowing about it.

I'll be travelling in March, and I just realised that my annual travel insurance policy expires soon. I decided to shop around for comparative quotes, and within half an hour I received three emails from airport parking companies.

It's a little spooky,this internet thingy, when you think about it.

lotvic 17:13 19 Jan 16

I recently got an email from Virgin Trains saying I'd been accepted as their 'friend' - no idea where they got my correct name info from. I found that a bit worrying as not been on their or any train site and entered my info.

bumpkin 18:52 19 Jan 16

All to common these days, just looking on the net for something you may wish to buy and inundated with spam.

RV510 19:17 19 Jan 16

If you turn on 'in-private browsing' in 'tools' it stops sites tracking your internet movements and then you won't get 'offers related to your internet search interests'. Google is mostly responsible for passing on your details to 'third parties' but if you don't give your full or 'correct' details when signing into a site you won't then be plagued by the 'phishing' emails and where you do need to give correct details just make sure that you 'tick' the box against where it says you don't want other parties contacting you. Telephone and other utility providers are the main culprits of this, they 'sell' your details to third party marketing Companies for 85p a time but if you tell them not to they are legally bound not to.

Devil Fish 23:26 19 Jan 16

blocking 3rd party cookies helps as well.Had a situation last year was looking for a new bike and the self same bike i was looking at appeared on my facebook page as an add,Did another couple of searches to check it was not a coincidence and bang their they were as adds.after a bit of research into it got to blocking 3rd party cookies and adds gone. long and short of it is your internet movements are being tracked by whatever means companies can use and it will always be a fight to stay ahead of it

Forum Editor 08:14 20 Jan 16

RV510

"..if you don't give your full or 'correct' details when signing into a site you won't then be plagued by the 'phishing' emails and where you do need to give correct details just make sure that you 'tick' the box against where it says you don't want other parties contacting you."

Unfortunately, when you're doing what I was doing - obtaining insurance quotes - you have to provide correct information, as you do when signing up for newsletters, buying things online, entering competitions, etc., etc.

If you carry out any kind of transaction on the internet - as millions of us do on a daily basis - you simply cannot avoid providing an email address. It's a fact of life nowadays, and spam is the result.

Like it or not, your email address ends up being passed into databases all over the world. Part of my work for a foreign client involved researching this aspect of internet life, and what I discovered was amazing. We ran tests using special email addresses - it took about three days from someone buying something online in Australia to trigger spam emails from a company in France.

Use the internet, and you cannot avoid your email address eventually getting onto lists - no matter how much you think you can.

morddwyd 09:40 20 Jan 16

You can tick all the boxes you want, but you can't prevent any company selling their contact list on. A[l you can do, if it's a UK company, is rely on data protection legislation.

Within 24 hours of registering with my dentist to receive appointment reminders by e-mail I started getting dental related advertising spam.

I wrote to the dentist pointing out that since I had not authorised the release of my data to a third party, their new system must have been hacked, and they should warn all their patients.

Their security checks must have worked for I have had nothing since!

wee eddie 22:17 20 Jan 16

I use separate email addresses for business and personal correspondence.

Not 100% foolproof, but my personal address is still mostly Spam free after roughly 20 years

oresome 19:00 23 Jan 16

You can't make a move these days

That's literally the case as the GPS on smart phones ensures your exact movements are tracked.

We've all signed up to being manipulated by big business.

Forum Editor 00:33 24 Jan 16

oresome

"...the GPS on smart phones ensures your exact movements are tracked.

Only if you leave the GPS facility turned on. I always turn it off on my phone, turning it on only when or if I need it.

bumpkin 00:45 24 Jan 16

To FE, what happens here if I change my email address (inundated with spam) do I need to re-register with a different name.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now