Yorkshire names

oldbeefer2 15:09 29 Jun 09

Just had a break in Yorkshire, and saw many place names with 'le' in the middle (a la francaise) ie 'Thornton-le-Vale'. Any explanation of the origin would be welcomed

smartpoly 15:23 29 Jun 09
  I am Spartacus 15:54 29 Jun 09

According to this click here '...With its claim to fame as the prettiest village in Yorkshire the "le" was added in the early 20th century to give it a more upmarket profile...'

However maybe 'le-dale' in other place names came from landed gifted by William the Conqueror to French Nobles.

sunnystaines 16:41 29 Jun 09

any one know what the yorkshire saying "by gum" means

rawprawn 16:48 29 Jun 09
  rawprawn 16:49 29 Jun 09
  Quickbeam 19:37 29 Jun 09

My office is in Adwick-le-street. As far as I'm aware it's been that since Norman times.

namtas 19:55 29 Jun 09

Thornton-Le-Dale is mentioned in the Doomsday book included as Torentune, an old English name meaning thorn-tree enclosure or farmstead. I believe that "Le" means beside or by. I lived in the village for seven years and it holds very pleasant memories. Unfortunatly we had to move due to work.
Around the mid eighties the name was changed, the Le was dropped and it became Thornon Dale. This change only lasted a short while before reverting back to the original name.

laurie53 20:23 29 Jun 09

Not just Yorks - Poulton le Fylde

Stuartli 20:25 29 Jun 09

"By gum" means "By heck" or "By 'eck"..:-)

Those of us who are Lancastrians normally just call those from Yorkshire a number of names....

>>As far as I'm aware it's been that since Norman times.>>

Long time to have been used as an office?

Only joking..:-)

ventanas 21:29 29 Jun 09

Try Essex - Stanford le Hope and Thorpe le Soken.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now