Is York Minster a Catholic church?

Kev.Ifty 18:21 PM 07 Feb 13

Richard the third was a Catholic wasnt he?

Forum Editor 18:51 PM 07 Feb 13

No, it isn't, and yes, he was.

SillBill 19:05 PM 07 Feb 13

York Minster is no longer a Catholic Cathedral, but it was, off and on, until the reign of Queen Elizabeth the First.

interzone55 19:18 PM 07 Feb 13

There's plenty of dead Catholics buried in C of E Cathedrals, as most of the buildings were constructed well before the Reformation

fourm member 19:20 PM 07 Feb 13

The question is not relevant to the Richard III story as the Chapter of York Minster has said he should be buried in Leicester.

lotvic 19:33 PM 07 Feb 13

alan14, I'm relieved to hear that, I was worrying that some of them might still be alive..

john bunyan 20:26 PM 07 Feb 13

forum member

I agree re the decision to Leicester Cathedral, as I posted at 4.25 yesterday on the other thread. However, would the Dean and Chapter agree to a Roman Catholic service there , and would a Catholic bishop be willing or allowed to conduct it? As Richard 3rd was a Catholic, it would seem correct for an RC funeral. This could test the so - called ecumenical policy that both churches profess.

SillBill 20:33 PM 07 Feb 13

Of course the remains could always be shipped out to the Vatican City for a proper Catholic ceremony! Might heal any rift left over from Henry VIII.

Kev.Ifty 22:19 PM 07 Feb 13

I heard how evil he was.. He never chopped his Wifes head off though.

john bunyan 22:37 PM 07 Feb 13

Quite a few kings at that period arranged for relatives to be bumped off! Some say his crimes were exaggerated by the succeeding Tudors. It will be interesting to see if the RC fraternity claim the right to conduct a service, and what the response will be. It has always saddened me that people who profess to believe in the same God can be so incredibly full of hate for each other.

spuds 00:37 AM 08 Feb 13

Perhaps to put further consideration to the question as to where Richard III remains will end up, then perhaps look no further than the Ministry for Justice who have categorically stated that its for the University of Leicester to decide.

The licence granted for the exhumation required certain relevant information from the applicant (University of Leicester), and part of that information covered where any remains would go. Richard Taylor, deputy registrar at the University of Leicester, as stated that the remains will be reinterred at Leicester Cathedral. The licence states that this as to be done no later than August 31, 2014.

The next move, is the Cathedral will consult with various bodies, including English Heritage and Cathedrals Fabric Commission of England before any work to alter the interior of Leicester Cathedral can be completed.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…