Yet another rant those that want our money

jack 20:02 04 Dec 08

The government that is and in particular the BBC and the TV Licensing department
This outfit are well represented in the 'Getting it Wrong stakes' - chasing after people that have no receiving equipment- threats of things dire - and ignoring responses and so forth.
Here is another
Earlier this week received in the post addressed to my late wife from said outfit a missive on yellow paper[indicating FREEE licence holder] reminding her that the licence issued in January this year was about to expire, and would she care to furnish further detail.
I recalled having seen this item in her files and I also recalled seeing the way it was made out.
So I dug it out, Yes I was right -said license issued January 2008 was good for 3 years[to the end of 2010]
I phoned the the 0845 number and spoke to a 'child'[certainly a very young female] and told her this fact- and she was completely non plussed.
In the event I told that the licence could now pass to me as I now qualify and passed my details.
So now we await developments

laurie53 20:25 04 Dec 08

If you qualify for a free licence can't see how they want your money?

oresome 20:28 04 Dec 08

Just as well they contacted you jack.

The licence which was in your late wife's name needed ammending to maintain it's validity.

I had a similar situation earlier this year. The household was covered by a licence in my mother in law's name. She died and the licence had over 2 years to expiry. I contacted the licencing authority and they told me the remainder of the year in progress remained valid, but then I would have to purchase one in my name.

I was actually expecting to have to purchase one immediately.

jack 14:56 06 Dec 08

Laurie 53
I take your point - but I really commenting on the general level of ineptitude if the bureaucy that rules our lives.
A 3 year licence was in existence - did they know the holder had passed away?
As with orsomes point- the licence had time to run

Forum Editor 15:08 06 Dec 08

I hardly think that a simple (and harmless) administrative error is sufficient to qualify the TV licensing department as having a 'general level of ineptitude'.

It seems to me that you've taken a tiny molehill of an incident and tried to blow it up into something far bigger than it is.

tullie 15:27 06 Dec 08

Agree FE

Cymro. 15:55 06 Dec 08

"It seems to me that you've taken a tiny molehill of an incident and tried to blow it up into something far bigger than it is".

Something that happens all too often on this forum.

laurie53 20:19 06 Dec 08

And what's wrong with that?

You'll be suggesting next that we think before we post.

Take us years to get to 400,000 at that rate!

Forum Editor 00:36 07 Dec 08

Heaven forbid! The forum wouldn't be nearly as much fun if everyone did that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac