xxx.9 pence per litre

WhiteTruckMan 08:47 26 May 11

What is it with fuel retailers that they always tag a .9p on the price of fuel? As one might imagine, I travel throughout the UK (while it still is United, but not for much longer. But thats another story...)and everywhere I go I see it on forecourt signs. And thats not an exaggeration. I realy do mean 'everywhere'. Yes, I know about the old ploy about it not seeming to be as expensive etc, but you would think people would realise this?

Does anyone know of a fuel retailer that doesnt indulge in this practice?

WTM

Bingalau 08:52 26 May 11

WTM. If I could find a garage or shop that doesn't use the system I would use it. It is a silly practice.

Quickbeam 08:52 26 May 11

"you would think people would realise this?"

The retailers must all be confident that we all all gullible enough to fall for it:)

dagbladet 11:38 26 May 11

I don't think I would travel any distance to support a garage that doesn't use this system. Firstly they are far more likely to add the .01 of a penny on (who cares) and why add to your journey, thus using more fuel just to make a stand against what is after all, standard practice.

spuds 11:50 26 May 11

Surely this is all based on human conception and marketing, and might have a part in one of Charles Dickens novels. You spend a penny to much and you are in trouble, a penny less and you keep the debt collectors away?.

If you go in places like PCW , you may well find items ending in 97p, which usually indicates a clearance offer!.

spuds 11:54 26 May 11

Surely this is all based on human conception and marketing, and might have a part in one of Charles Dickens novels. You spend a penny to much and you are in trouble, a penny less and you keep the debt collectors away?.

If you go in places like PCW , you may well find items ending in 97p, which usually indicates a clearance offer!.

spuds 11:55 26 May 11

Apologies for the double entry: The sites appears to be playing up with the post/please wait?.

wids001 11:56 26 May 11

So if you do actually manage to purchase just ONE LITRE of fuel are you then charged xxx.9p.

Somehow I don't think you are. It is rounded up meaning that the price you pay is NOT the price advertised. Isn't that illegal?

Anyway, I could be wrong but I believe that this pricing is allowed because the price is based on barrel quantities, or something along these lines.

lotvic 11:56 26 May 11

I think this practice of pricing originated from shopowners, it meant the hired help had to ring up the purchase to open the till to give the penny change. Goes back a long way.

wids001 12:09 26 May 11

lotvic.

Ringing up 99p to open the till to give change is fair enough but we're talking 9/10ths of a penny here with the fuel price, and even years ago the smallest denomination you could get in change was a farthing. However, as far as shops go, in the good old days of pre-decimisation, a price tag of say £1.19s/11d sounded alot cheaper than something priced at £2.00s/00d, and of course, as you say, you did get change!

Woolwell 12:15 26 May 11

There was also the practice of pricing in Guineas which were equivalent to £1 1s.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…