XP or Vista?

pgnorrie 13:25 11 Oct 05

I'm going to replace my elderly PC in the not too distant future but the question is should I wait for Vista or settle for XP?

Jackcoms 13:34 11 Oct 05

How long are you prepared to wait?

Best guesstimates put the final release of Vista towards the end of 2006.

Personally, I'd buy a new PC now with XP.

It's Microsoft's best and most stable OS so far and they'll continue to support it for many years after the release (or should that be escape) of Vista.

Forum Editor 13:42 11 Oct 05

buy your computer now, with Windows XP installed. Vista, when it's released, will come in several versions - as many as six - and there'll be a good deal of debate about which version is best for various groups of users. We'll be offering advice and help by the bucketload as launch date nears (and passes), and it might be better to carry on with WinXP for now - after all, Vista won't launch for another year.

pgnorrie 13:45 11 Oct 05

Thanks for your advice - I was thinking about buying at the beginning of next year rather than the end... and upgrading would still be an option.

spuds 14:44 11 Oct 05

Go with XP, at least most if not all the snags have ironed out.Vista [Longhorn] maybe a whole new ball game, including some software and component hang-ups.

bremner 15:36 11 Oct 05

When buying your new machine it should be borne in mind that whilst no one yet knows exactly what Vista's minimum spec will be it - is widely reported that if you want to take advantage of all it's graphic bells and whistles then you will need a pretty high end machine.

There will undoubtedly be versions for lower speced machines offered as well.

ade.h 17:13 11 Oct 05

I have seen MS's own spec described in PCW this month as: 3ghz CPU and 1GB RAM. If that's true then I wouldn't be surprised to find that Vista will run best with nearer 2GB, based on past history.

Forum Editor 17:37 11 Oct 05

I was recently chatting to a fairly senior Microsoft person about Vista hardware requirements. Jokingly I said "So, it would be best if I had an articulated refrigerated lorry parked outside my office, with a supercooler chilling banks of processors and RAM when I install Vista?"

He smiled. 'Very funny Peter, very funny'.

DieSse 23:06 11 Oct 05

Why settle for any of the above - why not try Linux - Xandros or Linspire, for instance.

You'd feel quite at home with either. Xandros you can kick off with a free download. Linspire you only need one licence for all the PCs in a household!

SaintBernard 20:03 14 Oct 05

If, when you buy a new computer, you want to give away the old computer, how do you clear the content of the old computer's hard disk.

PurplePenny 21:07 14 Oct 05

Wonder whether the refrigerated lorry would be liable for congestion charge ... "That lorry isn't a vehicle, it's a computer peripheral." :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…