XP isn't going quietly

WhiteTruckMan 23:52 24 Apr 07

click here

An unexpected twist, perhaps. However, MS don't seem too concerned by a silly little thing like what some people actually want....

WTM

Jak_1 00:12 25 Apr 07

One of the biggest problems with Vista seems to have been internet conection. ISP's either have not bothered or have not had time to get the required software out in time to make conecting a formality! Not sure where the fault lies on that one.

Forum Editor 00:12 25 Apr 07

11,000 people saying they prefer Windows XP to Vista is a drop in that ocean. The decision to continue to offer Windows XP was a simple one to take, and shows the company in a caring, sharing light.

I don't expect to see a headline "Everyone is staying with Windows XP" anytime soon.

WhiteTruckMan 00:35 25 Apr 07

I would be interested in hearing how sales of XP machines fare. It may be just a marketing wheeze, but it might just turn into a good one. Untill January, that is.

WTM

LastChip 00:37 25 Apr 07

I saw a report yesterday from a different source saying the same thing.

It's difficult to attempt to predict how it will all pan out. On the one hand, a manufacturer such as Dell has a huge clout on the terms they accept to supply software preloaded. On the other hand, Microsoft is a huge entity itself and will no doubt fight very hard to get Vista established.

You also have various government departments (particularly in the USA) saying no to Vista. You have governments in Europe experimenting with Linux in one or other of it's forms and if they consider it to be a success, who knows where that will lead. Indeed, Dell are said to be going to offer Linux as an alternative. Is that really what the market wants, or do Dell believe they can sell it as a feasible option, or, is it a future bargaining chip with Microsoft? Other large commercial organisations have been very lukewarm to Vista, which is understandable given it is early days.

Microsoft have said they will cease to supply XP to major manufacturers from January of next year. Will that prove to be a shrewd business move or the first dying sounds of a sinking supertanker?

I think there are possibly a couple of things that emerge from this. First, I believe Microsoft grossly underestimated the resistance in the marketplace to Vista, and there are many reasons for that. Second, it may well be the last operating system they produce of this type. In other words, trying to be all things to all people. I suspect future systems may be more modular in that you will just buy the component parts that you want, probably through a download process.

Forum Editor 07:09 25 Apr 07

very few, if any new computers will be supplied with Windows XP preinstalled. By then, software developers will well and truly be involved with Vista products, and the market will have accepted it.

My records show that most of my corporate clients were lukewarm towards XP when it was only a few months old - rolling out a new operating system on a 2000 desktop network isn't something you undertake without a good deal of forethought.

Dell will react to market forces, it's share has fallen of late, and it will do whatever it thinks necessary to regain lost ground. Hewlett Packard is the world's largest seller of computers, taking around 3.5% lead on Dell in terms of PC shipments at the end of 2006 and it will be interesting to see what that company does.

Altogether, over 220 million new computers will be sold in the world this year, and the vast bulk of those will be running Vista.

Kate B 10:39 25 Apr 07

Big companies are rarely among the first to go for a new operating system: it's just too big an undertaking, so it's not really valid to use them as an argument if you're saying that Vista hasn't taken off. One of the places I regularly work has only just upgraded to XP - I kid you not! It's the OEMs who drive takeup of a new OS, followed by individual upgraders.

riiverstock 10:43 25 Apr 07

You raise a good point WhiteTruckMan because only last week while'st studying some computer mags I was struck by the number of different companies selling new systems with XP installed.

Granted one could argue that the are clearing out their XP licenses or similar.
Time will tell.

Let's be honest for the average pc these OS are far too big and top heavy.Not including the need for a more energy consuming power unit.

A bit like going in for a screw driver and coming out with a fully laden tool chest.
And minus a lot of your dosh.

JYPX 23:15 25 Apr 07

My first reaction to XP - about 6 months in - all positive. First reaction to Vista - not so good, Nothing to do with driver or software issues, just going on instinct. The only version of Vista I could grow to love is Home Basic, and even then I feel the need to strip it down more. What I want is a serious and functional OP, what I don't want is froth and nonsense. Just my opinion but I wonder if others are thinking the same thing.

Forum Editor 23:25 25 Apr 07

"Let's be honest for the average pc these OS are far too big and top heavy."

That's nonsense. Exactly the same thing was said about Windows XP when it first launched - and that was nonsense, too. Windows XP went on to become the most successful version of Windows ever released, and it's still a wonderfully stable operating system.

Vista is different, and I think it's better. It takes a while to get into some of the complexities, but you can happily run it on a computer without ever having to delve in that way if you prefer. I'm not about to predict that Viista will equal Win XP's success - it may or it may not, it's far too early to tell.

To say,however, that modern operating systems are far too big and top heavy for the average computer user is nonsense.

Forum Editor 23:32 25 Apr 07

Vista is without doubt the most serious and functional Windows version I've ever used, and I've used them all.

Of course there's froth - large sectors of the market want it - but you can ignore it quite easily, and just use the functionality, which is exceptionally robust, and provides you with better admin tools than any other version. My Vista Ultimate control panel has no fewer than 58 tool icons, offering me an unprecedented degree of control over my hardware/software environment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…