XP Home and Professional - gone?

CurlyWhirly 10:08 26 Aug 04

I have just downloaded SP2 and after installation I noticed that upon loading the 'Windows XP Professional' text has changed to just 'Windows XP'!
Does anyone know if Microsoft are to merge the two versions into one?
It seems odd to me as there quite a few differences between the two versions.
CW

Al94 14:28 26 Aug 04

Could it be because SP2 for XP Pro hasn't been released yet. Due in September I think.

CurlyWhirly 14:31 26 Aug 04

I was running XP Professional!
CW

CurlyWhirly 14:34 26 Aug 04

Have a look at click here
to see what I mean!
CW

ventanas 15:13 26 Aug 04

I wouldn't worry about it. The copyright years have disappeared from the startup screen as well.

If you check your system's properties it still states XP Professional. It has nothing to do with the "version" of SP2. There is only one, whether it states "Network," "Home" or "Professional." Its still the same file. You only download what is deemed necessary by Windows Update. I have the so-called "Network" version (downloaded in full - 256mb) on both domain and stand-alone PC's running XP Pro. Installation process is identical.

CurlyWhirly 17:13 26 Aug 04

Thanks for that.
Yes I see what you mean I still have the 'Microsoft Windows XP Professional' under CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > GENERAL.
I wasn't worried about it just curious as to whether Microsoft will in the future just release ONE version of XP on OEM PC's?
And if so why would they want to do this?
The only thing I can think of is making it easier for people to download security patches as they would only then need to produce ONE version of the patch which would save on Research & Development costs.
CW

CurlyWhirly 17:20 26 Aug 04

I must be lucky as even though I have only had SP2 installed for around 12 hours I am glad to say that I have had NO problems at all with NO programs playing up.
I am now going to make a backup of my operating system using Drive Image 7.
Well done Microsoft but I wonder how long it will be before the hackers reverse engineer the patch to find exploits?
They must be sad people as haven't they got anything better to do with their time?
CW

powerless 18:50 26 Aug 04

They've already found exploits.

If you want your old boot screen, with XP Home/ Pro loaded. You can do it i... think.

You can replace your ntoskrnl.exe with the old one.

Or use a third pary with a load more click here

Gaz 25 13:09 28 Aug 04

Installing a boot logo is a risky task... yuo dont want to loose your XP PC do you?

Anyhows... XP Home and Pro are the same: its in the registery, yuo can even get the crtl + alt + del login screen and the advanced security tab and encyiption working safely in xp home.

Regards,
Gareth

CurlyWhirly 19:11 28 Aug 04

But I am really not that bothered about losing the 'Professional' wording especially as installing a boot logo could be risky as 'Gaz 25' mentioned!
SP2 is working fine and I don't want to mess it all up but thanks anyway.
CW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…