The XP alternative for Vista PCs

octal 22:31 24 Sep 07

I'm a bit confused over this, are Microsoft admitting they've miss-calculated? Why would they offer such a thing?
click here

There's probably a good reason why they would allow downgrades, but I can't think of any at the moment. I thought Vista was doing so well from what I've read.

Forum Editor 22:44 24 Sep 07

to get into the business market, and it's mainly to that market that this offer is being addressed. The reason is that many small businesses tend to go for machines with fairly basic hardware specifications, and they (the machines) may not perform at their best running Vista business or Ultimate editions - the only two versions to which this offer applies.

People who bought these versions have always been able to downgrade if they wished, so there's nothing new about that - what's new is that PC manufacturers can now put XP discs in the box with the Vista machines if they want to.

Making the offer is one thing - how many people will take it up remains to be seen. Either way, it's going to be up to the computer manufacturers to decide how they handle this offer, and no doubt we'll get some feedback in due course. Personally I doubt that there'll be a landslide towards downgrading - the world's moving on, and XP home users in particular will gradually find themselves in a shrinking pool in terms of new software options. It isn't going to happen overnight, but it will happen.

octal 23:01 24 Sep 07

Thanks for the explanation, from a neutral standpoint I'll be interested to see how things develop.

True, it won't happen overnight, but I wonder if it will happen before the supposed release of the next new operating system? There are some who are still running Win98.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac