WWW is more resiliant?

Nellie2 23:11 06 Feb 07

Is this a sign that we are winning the war against malicious attacks? I sincerely hope so.

Quote;
Hackers briefly overwhelmed at least three of the 13 computers that help manage global computer traffic Tuesday in one of the most significant attacks against the Internet since 2002.

Experts said the unusually powerful attacks lasted for hours but passed largely unnoticed by most computer users, a testament to the resiliency of the Internet.

Source: click here

Forum Editor 23:26 06 Feb 07

and a good thing, too. Those of us who have been around the block a few times will remember all those dire warnings in the early days of the internet's life. Hackers were going to close it down on an almost daily basis, and at times it seemed that they had almost succeeded - it was so slow.

The internet is now such an integral part of the planet's daily life that it would be nothing short of a disaster if it was effectively shut down by malicious hackers. That they have tried and failed is a tribute to those who have developed the technologies that enable the load that was previously carried by the internet's 13 root servers to be distributed to other computers around the world.

Nellie2 23:41 06 Feb 07

I agree FE, but this doesn't mean that we can get complacent and feel comfortable that someone else is looking after it for us.

We must be responsible for our own security and for the health of our computers. We spend a lot of money on our technology, we really should understand it and look after it.

If anyone is interested.. here is some more reading for you.

Criminals may overwhelm the web click here
Know Your Enemy - Botnets click here

Spark6 23:46 06 Feb 07

As always, keep up the good work, believe me it's appreciated.

Totally-braindead 23:49 06 Feb 07

It is indeed appreciated we don't see that much of you here anymore as I assume you spend more time with the hijack logs and malware removal.

Nellie2 23:54 06 Feb 07

I lurk a lot!!! :-)

Forum Editor 23:57 06 Feb 07

(and a lot of others) lurking, and of course you're very welcome.

I lurk on other forums - there's a lot to be said for it, and it's surprising what you learn sometimes.

p;3 00:17 07 Feb 07

perhaps security begins at home? with responsible computer useage and protection ; and seeking help from the experts with log review as Totally- braindead says ;

and lurking? it is intriguing what you CAN learn from just lurking ..watch and learn

Totally-braindead 00:24 07 Feb 07

Nothing like a good lurk and I think we can all agree with that sentiment.

p;3 00:39 07 Feb 07

that WOULD make a first wouldn't it?...for us all to agree on something ?::))

Totally-braindead 00:41 07 Feb 07

p;3 you know I never thought of that. You're quite right it would be a first.
And sadly quite probably a last. Never mind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…