W.W.W.

rdave13 23:12 12 Aug 10

That is the usual start of an URL is it not?
Does someone hold the copywrite for this address?
If so it no longer holds true.
Try using streamed radio like Pandora in this country. Since changeing ISP about a year ago I could run this radio type station. Now they've twigged that it's a UK addy I'm banned again. I'm annoyed this happens so why this W.W.W.?
WORLD. WIDE. WEB. my arse.

Rant not over but feel better.

Forum Editor 23:45 12 Aug 10

Pandora runs on servers that are based in America, it's an American business. As such it has to comply with American Federal broadcast licence legislation. There is a federal statute called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and Pandora must comply with the terms of that legislation if it is to stay in business.

The company isn't licenced to stream content to countries outside the jurisdiction of the US Federal authorities; that's why your access has been disabled - it isn't the Internet's fault.

rdave13 00:02 13 Aug 10

Yes we all know about the copyright, licences but it is still only a radio station you pick what you like to listen. I can get similar here which work as well. The French Deezer has fallen foul of these restrictions and I've dumped that as well. The annoying thing is that they used to be proper www as meant. Now we are being, what's the word I'm looking for? Same as China was trying to do to Google? Can't for the life of me remember that 'word' that means you are censored.
Restricted. Wide. Web. would be a more honest title starter.

Forum Editor 06:26 13 Aug 10

You're making the mistake of thinking that because the Internet is accessible from any country in the world it means that national jurisdictions don't apply, but of course they do.

The laws of America still exist, and they apply to businesses which operate there, in just the same way that our laws apply to businesses in our country. That doesn't change, because you want to listen to an American radio station that isn't licensed to broadcast over the Internet to European listeners.

It has nothing to do with the internet, and everything to do with the laws of the country involved.

Snec 09:19 13 Aug 10

Before Speakers' Corner came to being almost all PCA Forumites would have had enough computer nous not to allow a banned IP address become a problem and would have changed it to show a country of their choosing. How things have changed.

rdave13 18:18 13 Aug 10

Absolutely but that's not the point I'm getting at. Pandora is simply a radio station. You create a station from a group or singer. Say the Beatles for instance. Now that station will play other artiste who play the same type of music as the Beatles with a few odd tracks of the original thrown in. Sometimes I hear a tune I particularly like, then investigate the group and if I like what I hear I will then buy the CD on line. I don't use Itunes. So its a good way of free advertising for the artists. It's just like the law is working against them in this instance. If I wanted to download illegally then I'm sure there are other methods available but that is not for me.
Why should I have to use a proxy server to listen to a radio station for heavens sake?

mr simon 18:44 13 Aug 10
  rdave13 18:46 13 Aug 10

Thanks, I do use it occasionally.

rdave13 23:09 14 Aug 10

Still bugs me Pandora is banned in UK.
Sometimes the law, copywrite or any another, is an absolute ass.

End of rant :)

rdave13 23:43 14 Aug 10

As a PS to smug Snec, try getting a proxy address with the righ port and see how far you get without paying for it nowadays.

Forum Editor 23:56 14 Aug 10

copywrite (sic) or any another, is an absolute ass."

That's undoubtedly true, and when the law is demonstrably an ass it can be changed, or done away with altogether, but consider for a moment...

The original copyright law (The Statute of Anne) came into being in Britain three hundred years ago, and although it has been amended and redrafted several times since then it still embodies the same thinking - that a person who creates something original has an absolute right to say who may or may not make copies of the work and/or distribute it to others.

An Internet radio station must pay copyright fees in respect of the music it streams, and the people who own the copyrights may impose conditions, one of which may be that the music may only be streamed within national boundaries. You might disagree with that, but America's Digital Millennium Copyright Act applies in this case - the radio station mustn't permit its stream to be accessed outside the US Federal jurisdiction.

We apply much the same kind of control in the case of the BBC's iPlayer. Try to use the service outside the UK and you'll get a message telling you it's not available in your location. It works in the same way in both cases - the service you're trying to access detects the location of the ISP you're using,and if that's outside the country where the service is based you'll be refused access.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced