ww2

egapup 20:08 31 Dec 06

I saw in the paper the other day that we have paid the final installment of our bill to America for the equipment we needed to fight ww2. They should have paid us for helping to keep the world free from the Nazi by fighting on alone for so long, wonder if they would have joined in if Pearl Harbour hadn't happened.

bremner 20:13 31 Dec 06

I am just grateful they helped - I failed my German O'Level so would have been a hopeless German :o(

hijo 20:22 31 Dec 06

yeah i saw this on the tv last night kinda unreal aint it,so @ least the debt is now paid & the goverment will use the money that was paying for the 50 year old debt for what now...??
any ideas...?
H

Phphred 20:24 31 Dec 06

We can give it to the non accountable EU

jakimo 20:28 31 Dec 06

The debt was owed to Canada as well as the USA,and we should be very thankful for their support,we would be living in a very different would without it

WhiteTruckMan 20:29 31 Dec 06

Pretty soon youre talking about some serious money.

WTM

egapup 08:31 01 Jan 07

Perhaps we should send them a bill for helping them out in Iraq and Afganistan.

Forum Editor 09:36 01 Jan 07

Perhaps we should just be thankful that they helped us out when our country was virtually bankrupt, and for the fact that they agreed to the lowest rate of interest that has ever been charged on an international loan.

Whatever slant you want to put on it, if it wasn't for the fact that America came to our aid (in more ways than one), and that Japan brought the USA into the war with a vengeance, we should all be speaking German, and as jakimo says, the world would be a very different place. There's no need for us to grovel in gratitude, but neither should we denigrate an act of assistance which quite literally saved our lives.

Bingalau 10:41 01 Jan 07

Guten Morgen! wie geht's? Haben sie alle Ein Gutes Neuen Jahr. ..Bingalau..

Probabilitydrive 11:52 01 Jan 07

Natuerlich und du?

Bingalau 13:06 01 Jan 07

Ja! Sehr gut, danke. Tschüs... Auf English "I stopped a few rums going sour" ..Bingalau..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…