Would you take a promotion?

SG Atlantis® 17:17 20 Apr 06

and less money?

I am up for a promotion, which is a straight forward salary. Full four weeks paid holidays per year. Sounds good, doesn't it??

Well here's the thing. I am on a p/t contract but do full time hours and I am paid by the hour. So in effect I am earning more than I would if I took the promotion. Using the equation: pay / typical hours = hourly rate.

But at the moment if I take a holiday I only get a few hours pay, ie no overtime!

What would you do?

Giant68 17:35 20 Apr 06

I took a promotion and pay cut last year. While I didn't really want a paycut the promotion meant that i was no longer a shift worker doing 4 on 4 off, with no social life as all my friends worked Mon to Fri. Now I work Mon to Fri I can have a social life, I just can't afford it!!
I think that generally you just have to look at a bigger picture. Does it give more job security, or job satisfaction? Are there other benefits? Only you can decide what is right for you.

Giant68

SG Atlantis® 17:46 20 Apr 06

Four full weeks paid holidays and yes it'll be a secure wage, in the sense that what ever hours I do I'll get the same money.

At the moment my hours vary so my wage does too as I am paid by the hour in this role. If I take a weeks holiday now I only get paid 4hrs pay.

I have til tomorrow to make up my mind...

Forum Editor 17:52 20 Apr 06

take the salaried position.

Totally-braindead 17:54 20 Apr 06

A friend of mine was in exactly the same boat last year, he refused the promotion and someone else got the job and he hates him, keeps complaining how useless the guy is and how he couldn't organise a chimps tea party.

Its swings and roundabouts really and I don't see how anyone else can advise you on this, I'm afraid you'll have to look at the pros and cons and make your own mind up. I don't suppose theres any other perks to the promotion is there? Things like a better pension scheme or more job security or a better severance package if things go badly. Plus the thing is you say you are part time, do you think that you may be dropped back to your part time hours? If so then perhaps the promotion is not so bad after all.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

octal 17:54 20 Apr 06

There is one thing to consider it is much easier to budget forecast with a steady wage than it is with a variable one, make yourself a spreadsheet and see how the lower wage works out across a year. Is there an option of doing a part time job to supplement the lower wage?

Good luck whatever you decide.

ade.h 18:00 20 Apr 06

As you have a family (and you said recently that another might be on the cards) how would the steady wage affect things like child tax credits, if you get them? Might work out favourably, might not.

anskyber 19:00 20 Apr 06

Will your job still exist if you do not take it and they advertise and fill it elsewhere? Take it I say and enjoy the "relative" security.

bluto1 19:09 20 Apr 06

SG Atlantis
If you turned down the post you might send the wrong signals to your bosses, and though you would carry on as you are now, it is probably unlikely that you`d get another offer in the future. I`d say bite the bullet and take it.
Good luck.

SG Atlantis® 19:17 20 Apr 06

Thanks FE, I appreciate your straight to the point advice/opinions.

T-B that's what I'm afraid of, that if I were to refuse now the opportunity might come around again in the near future. And of course one of the lazy gits I work with might get it. I haven't got more info on fringe benefits, but I expect it's alot better, I think the pension is only open to management (Which I would become).

Octal you are right about budgetting, I don't know from one month to the next what my income will be in this role. I got it wrong a while back and got in trouble with the bank, not serious trouble though!

ade.h it wouldn't affect it that much, I'd still be in the same bracket. It's just that I'd be doing alot more hours for similar pay. So it works out less money per hour.

I suppose if I prove myself and work hard (always do anyway) I might move quicker up the ladder, lol.

I think I'll have that chat in the morning with my boss. Thanks all.

I'll post back what happens.

SG Atlantis® 19:20 20 Apr 06

anskyber - yes my current job will still exist.

bluto1 - I think you're right.

thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…