would you support a 20mph speed limit

cream. 09:58 29 Apr 14

According to this survey road safety charity Brake and Allianz Insurance

Most would. Would you be happier traveling at 20mph through towns and cities, if you could get up to that speed in some or are you happy to leave things as they are. I would prefer 20mph in residential areas and the motorway limit increased to 80mph.

Mr Mistoffelees 10:17 29 Apr 14

I support 20MPH speed limits in residential areas and near schools and children's play areas. Many areas could also do with more pedestrian crossings.

fourm member 10:27 29 Apr 14

My natural scepticism makes me wary of any survey undertaken by an interested party. Given that the survey was done to support a campaign for 20 mph limits I assume it would not have been published if 80% of people had disagreed.

That said, I do think more widespread use of 20mph limits would be useful. But they mustn't become too widespread because what matters is people realising there is a reason for a lower limit.

And I think it has more to it than just the actual traffic speed. Wider use of lower limits could signal an end to our obsession with putting the car above everything else.

spuds 10:46 29 Apr 14

When 20mph or lower speed limits were introduced in my neck of the woods, especially near school's, the signing became very confusing, and the authorities had to change the signs for more clearer information.

One point was the 'within school hours', because due to school holidays, evening classes, various functions and the like, people were getting rather confused to when the regulations applied or if they applied at all.

But having said that, it would appear that people carry on regardless, because no policing is taking place. Speed camera's I suppose is the remedy for that?.

fourm member 11:05 29 Apr 14

spuds

'Speed camera's I suppose is the remedy for that?.'

You can't rely on enforcement to make a policy successful. In fact, attempts to do so can be counter-productive.

If the public doesn't endorse a policy it won't contribute to its implementation by either changing its own behaviour or ostracising those who don't.

The legal requirement to wear seat belts has been a huge success because the public accepted its effectiveness, not because there was widespread enforcement.

fourm member 11:09 29 Apr 14

It appears that, for once, the government is willing to look at evidence to support policy.

Parliamentary Q & A

wiz-king 13:30 29 Apr 14

J Bonington Jagworth would not be amused.

sunnypete 15:33 29 Apr 14

Have you all really tried driving along a clear, wide, open road at 20 m.p.h.? Just another example of all the goody goodies wanting to take us back to the Victorian, horse and cart, era...

wiz-king 15:39 29 Apr 14

"Clear, wide open road" don't have many of them round 'ere, mostly double parked, narrow gaps with Chelsea tractors parked while the owners go to the station or school.

mbc 15:49 29 Apr 14

My home town introduced an almost blanket coverage 20mph zone 2 years ago, and have just released the accident figures for the last year. I do not recall the exact figures, but there was a substantial decrease in the number of accidents, also injuries and deaths. So, on the safety issue only, there is a very strong case for the reduction in the speed limit. I would expect to see more LA's adopting 20mph zones town wide.

sunnypete 15:52 29 Apr 14

wiz-king absolutely, so that slows you down without the need for more unnecessary restrictions...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video