Would you ride in a driver-less car?

LastChip 16 May 13
Answered

No catch - the question is in the title.

I was reading some research today and wondered how members here would react to that question.

Mr Mistoffelees 16 May 13

Not sure about that. I am sure though that I would find it very disconcerting, especially if my first experience was out on the public road rather than on a test track.

spuds 16 May 13

Not so much a car, but a war machine being developed by the Americans. A large vehicle that can be guided by satellite, and remotely controlled from far distances.

Not so sure if it was on the BBC's motoring program Top Gear, but James May undertook a test to see if he could outpace the vehicle over various terrains between two given points. Both vehicles reached the destination, using various routes, one governed by satellite and remote's, the other by a human's own on the spot travel calculations.

I think it was referred to "as things to come?".

bumpkin 16 May 13

Yes if the technology had been proven. Not so sure about a plane though which I believe has just been done.

spider9 16 May 13

I sometimes sit in the passenger seat when my wife is driving - probably close to the experience of being in a driverless vehicle, I suppose!!

bumpkin 16 May 13

Some kind of over ride would be essential should it malfunction.

spider9 16 May 13

I would presume we are talking about 'complete' driverless situations, meaning all the cars on the road are all driverless?

It could hardly operate if some had drivers and others not, think of how accident 'at faults' would be decided??

If there were 'over-ride' facilities could drivers just jump in and out of control? Recipe for disaster I'm afraid.

bumpkin 16 May 13

If there were 'over-ride' facilities could drivers just jump in and out of control? Recipe for disaster I'm afraid.

No, it would have to be an emergency device only. As you say it would be very difficult to combine those driven and those driver-less. May happen in the future though.

Woolwell 16 May 13

bumpkin - Aircraft without anyone onboard have been around since at least the early 50's and were used as targets. Now drones are used for reconnaissance and bombing. However there is a pilot controlling the aircraft remotely. The recent report about a passenger aircraft over gilded it a bit.

Dockland Light Railway is driver less.

Bit different with cars though as they can vary route too much. However a computer with collision avoidance is likely to be better than some of the idiots I see driving.

carver 16 May 13

"No, it would have to be an emergency device only"

Would that be the 0.5 of a second before you hit the other car head on.

Or would that be just after the screen and voice told you that due to a programming error the road it had just entered is really a train track.

Bing.alau 16 May 13

My car already has an emergency braking system which is supposed to work in town traffic by braking if get too close to the vehicle in front. I've never known it to operate even though it is on. I suppose I am too careful a driver to get too close. I hope I am anyway.

I think we all sit in the passenger seat and apply the phantom brake when someone else is driving. So maybe if the driver-less car had a brake pedal which did nothing but travel up and down with a bit of resistance when applied, we would be happy.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message