Would you let O2 track your location in return for special offers?

PC Advisor 11:06 18 Jul 11

O2 has launched a location-based service that offers its customers access to discounts and special offers at nearby retailers. Would you let your phone company track you in return for special offers? Have your say in our poll: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/polls/3291839/o2-has-announced-a-service-for-its-customers-which-will-track-their-location-and-then-offer-deals-based-on-where-they-are-what-do-you-think-about-it/ .

johndrew 11:36 18 Jul 11

If O2 wanted to make offers to its customers it could do so without tracking them by simply providing a free number to call.

Taff™ 11:42 18 Jul 11

Personally I feel it`s like inviting spam. I have a busy enough life without offers pinging my mobile every day. It's already bad enough on 02 with messages about an accident I never had!

Joseph Kerr 11:51 18 Jul 11

Aren't we already tracked? We ar with an iphone.

interzone55 11:59 18 Jul 11

For some this would be handy, but it's merely an extension of the bluetooth spam offers that some shopping centres ping out as you pass certain shops.

One of the reasons that I keep bluetooth turned off.

I do find it vaguely disconcerting that my phone knows where I am, as it displays the town I'm in and the current weather on the home screen. I know I can turn this off, but it's harmless as long as I'm not engaging in any activity where I don't want people to know where I am, tabloids for example, and handily my phone has an "Airplane" mode that turns off all radios (cellular radio, GPS, Bluetooth & Wi-Fi - how do that fit 4 radios and antennas in a box 9mm thick) when I want to go deep cover...

spuds 12:47 18 Jul 11

Surely mobile phone providers are already tracking their customers on an everyday basis. Possibly a bit like your ISP with your email.

Offering incentives seems to be a way of perhaps fooling the more gullible, especially if these offers are of no or very little value to the majority.

Joseph Kerr 13:36 18 Jul 11

Surely i dont need to be told the weather in my current location...

Legolas 13:49 18 Jul 11

Not sure I think i would want to see what offers I was getting for allowing them to track me and how easy it was to get out of the scheme if I didn't like it.

interzone55 13:56 18 Jul 11

Joseph Kerr

Not necessarily the weather at this precise moment, you just look out the window for that, but useful to know what it'll be like later in the day, and it tracks several cities, so I can see that it's raining where I work 60-odd miles away, but fine at home, so I know to put a coat in the car for the 100 yard dash to the door from the car-park.

Quickbeam 14:04 18 Jul 11

All depends on just how special the offer is.

Quickbeam 14:08 18 Jul 11

The polls 3 options aren't enough to poll with.

I'm sceptical rather than outraged, and not sure iffy rather than not sure but like it...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…