Would you consider a Chromebook as your next laptop?

PC Advisor 17:02 03 Dec 14

Chromebooks are rapidly growing traction in the tech market. With more than two million Chromebooks shipped between January and September 2014 in the US, Google laptops are outpacing competing platforms such as Apple's iPad and Windows laptops.

But would you consider a Chromebook as your next laptop? Have a quick look at our Best Chromebooks 2014 group test, then place your vote in our poll.

Forum Editor 19:08 03 Dec 14

I think that if I was shopping for a Chromebook it would have to be the Dell 11 for me. My next laptop? No, I don't think so, but if anyone fancies slipping one into my stocking, come Christmas, I wouldn't say no.

mole1944 19:26 03 Dec 14

Nudge nudge F.E.

Santa

Aitchbee 19:47 03 Dec 14

On a more technical note, I might consider gettin' a Chromebook - if and only if - I could successfully connect to the cloud [from anywhere] with my [1GB-per-month] USB-mobile-dongle ... instead of wi-fi.

SameepAgarwal 05:17 04 Dec 14

I have worked and tested chromebooks right from their nascent stage of development while working for Google Inc. These included Mario , Alex, stumpy, lumpy and so on. There was a massive drive to switch to chromebook from our conventional OS to promote cloud technology and use it as collection of productivity apps and utilities. The purpose was to reduce storage constraints, with fast booting and securing corp data(users were not able to carry data to home). All data transfer were recorded with such precision that even mouse hovers were logged. This helped in monitoring the activity of the users within the corp.

The chromebook lacked only in connectivity issues, and India still being a developing nation really has issues in data broadcast and related infrastructure. Apart from that, these were very suitable for the corp where provisioning these was just a few clicks & key strokes away and as easy as adding a gmail account.

Chromebook is definitely the future but at present it is not suited for individual users and corporations who want privacy of data. These are good for students, teachers and social practitioners but not for people dealing with sensitive data until and unless they are a 'Googler'. This was useful for me sometime back, but now that I am out of the company and know the internals of data snooping, I will not go for it unless more transparency is enforced.

SameepAgarwal 05:17 04 Dec 14

I have worked and tested chromebooks right from their nascent stage of development while working for Google Inc. These included Mario , Alex, stumpy, lumpy and so on. There was a massive drive to switch to chromebook from our conventional OS to promote cloud technology and use it as collection of productivity apps and utilities. The purpose was to reduce storage constraints, with fast booting and securing corp data(users were not able to carry data to home). All data transfer were recorded with such precision that even mouse hovers were logged. This helped in monitoring the activity of the users within the corp.

The chromebook lacked only in connectivity issues, and India still being a developing nation really has issues in data broadcast and related infrastructure. Apart from that, these were very suitable for the corp where provisioning these was just a few clicks & key strokes away and as easy as adding a gmail account.

Chromebook is definitely the future but at present it is not suited for individual users and corporations who want privacy of data. These are good for students, teachers and social practitioners but not for people dealing with sensitive data until and unless they are a 'Googler'. This was useful for me sometime back, but now that I am out of the company and know the internals of data snooping, I will not go for it unless more transparency is enforced.

sunnystaines 20:15 04 Dec 14

no like windows despite frustration with the dumbed down tiles setion.

Belatucadrus 21:21 04 Dec 14

When the backlighter went on my aging dell I looked at all the options and while not a fan of 8.1 opted for a Dell from their outlet shop. I ended up with a 500Gb 17" laptop for somewhat less than most 14" chromebooks, a device that's supposed to be the cheap option, bit of a no brainer really. I still get the cloud options and have a machine that's not compromised when operating stand alone.

March Hare 15:34 05 Dec 14

Been using an Acer C720 Chromebook for 6 months, it replaced two Windows netbooks, and is now my main computer. I do miss some things the netbooks could do that the Acer can't but the speed and simplicity suits me - I wouldn't go back to Windows now.

rogerinfrance 17:48 05 Dec 14

Where we live you HAVE to use a telephone line. What therefore is the bonus, will it work away from home with no signal? No so when out I cannot even pull to the side of the roads here and use it. Then of course the continued cost. Frankly it may be good for some, but there are too many no no's for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos