Would Jeremy Clarkson make a good MP?

ened 06:17 16 Sep 13

He has tweeted that he is contemplating standing at Doncaster, where he grew up and whose sitting Member is Ed Milliband.

Known for speaking his mind, would be be a breath of fresh air (whatever your views) or does he need further skills?

Quickbeam 06:55 16 Sep 13

"...whose sitting Member is Ed Milliband." I take it that he'll not be on a Labour ticket then!

It's also my parliamentary area. He won't stand a chance. We're still electing Labour MPs on the grounds that we were once a major mining and heavy industry manufacturing area. People still vote Labour here because their parents did, and their grandparents did, and their gt grandparents did, and their... you get the idea, I'm sure.

To be honest he would be a breath of fresh air, but I don't think that he'll have the X factor to sway the older age group voter that sees him as an in yer face annoyance from the telly Dave channel.

morddwyd 07:31 16 Sep 13

He'd make an excellent MP.

Full of of a sense his own importance. and makes announcements on a vast number of things he knows nothing about

bremner 08:16 16 Sep 13

Morddwyd

Perfectly put.

fourm member 08:23 16 Sep 13

Here's Clarkson's Tweet in full;

'I'm thinking I might stand in the next election as an independent for Doncaster North, which is where I'm from. Thoughts?'

That's the equivalent of Tweeting 'I might have a G & T instead of a beer'.

The reaction of the media says a great deal about the mess it is in.

Of course, there might be another explanation.

You don't suppose Clarkson might have a book coming out?

wiz-king 08:36 16 Sep 13

I thought he would be standing for the next London mayor.

wiz-king 08:36 16 Sep 13

I thought he would be standing for the next London mayor.

morddwyd 08:57 16 Sep 13

"That's the equivalent of Tweeting 'I might have a G & T instead of a beer'."

And if he did the press would immediately pick it up as "Clarkson admits to needing strong drink".

That's what they do, that's what we pay them for.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:20 16 Sep 13

It is impossible to say if he would be a good MP or not. we only know his public persona, we know little of the real person. Having said that, I think it very unlikely I would vote for him, if he stood for Taunton.

spuds 10:02 16 Sep 13

I thought that he was already very busy with being a journalist, vehicle tester, world traveller, light house keeper, and now farmer.

But then thinking about it, doesn't all our MP's have a similar heavy workload?.

At least one thing in his favour, is his contact base of millions of people worldwide?.

Talking about his book writing. Having read a few of his 'down to earth' books, then being a politician might not be a bad thing, providing he picks the right political party. Possibly on that score, he might need to form a party on his own. Car Drivers, Shunter's, Jobsworth and Seeing Red Party might be a thought?.

Quickbeam 11:07 16 Sep 13

"I think it very unlikely I would vote for him, if he stood for Taunton." Not even if he tweeted that he'll have a cider rather than a G&T?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…