Would it lead to better harmony

Al94 20:18 01 Dec 06

in the forum if Speakers Corner was removed and the forum reverted to its real "raison d'etre". It seems this is the area where differences of opinion potentially lead to polarisation.

anskyber 20:27 01 Dec 06

I think it rather depends on how seriously it's all taken. Nothing, and I mean nothing said in Speakers Corner will change the world one jot. It's a place to exchange views, although I realise that there are some who get very heated about some subjects.

There is no compulsion to post here or participate in any way. I can think of a few members who are particularly prominent in say the Helproom who I do not see here, or rarely.

I enjoy reading what others have to say on various matters even though I sometimes wonder how they could think in such a way; they will undoubtedly think the same I am sure of my opinions.

But, it does not matter, it is not important and we should all take a walk around the block if it does start to matter ...so much.

I say leave it for those who enjoy it, the FE is ever present to control the wilder excesses and the Contact Forum Editor function is there for anyone who gets upset.

Jim Thing 21:05 01 Dec 06

Anskyber is dead right: "leave it for those who enjoy it, the FE is ever present to control the wilder excesses and the Contact Forum Editor function is there for anyone who gets upset."

While I value all the PCA 'technical' forums (where I lurk a lot and learn a lot), I don't feel competent to try and solve problems very often. To me, Speakers' Corner represents a nice change of pace where opinionated old codgers like meself can sound off now and again.

Granted there are one or two regulars who seem not to have learned that one man's firmly expressed opinion is another man's aggressive bad manners, but that's life innit?

De Marcus™ 21:38 01 Dec 06

"I can think of a few members who are particularly prominent in say the Helproom who I do not see here, or rarely."

And vice versa..

mammak 22:12 01 Dec 06

I don't think closing down "Speakers" would lead to better harmony on the forum, yeh you get the odd naff thread that turns sour but hey the good thought provoking threads far out way these type threads.

ps. and the helproom has been in need of harmony on a few occasions :-)

Forum Editor 22:13 01 Dec 06

and you remove its flavour. What a dull place the world would be without a bit of good old fashioned polarisation.

I don't feel that we lack harmony here; there are disagreements, certainly, and sometimes there are heated disagreements, but that's life, surely? The forum is composed of thousands of people who wouldn't ordinarily be in contact with each other. In everyday life an average person probably expresses his/her opinions to a fairly small group of family and friends. Here, when you publish your views on a subject you're doing it to an audience of thousands, and some of them are going to disagree with you. If you can't argue your case rationally and convincingly you may be in for a slightly bumpy ride, but that's the way it is.

Nobody (except me) has to subject themselves to this process - you can choose not to participate. Speakers Corner was launched in response to many requests, and it stays, at least for the foreseeable future.

Brumas 23:26 01 Dec 06

If you compare the Forums to a rather special high-class menu,then to me, the Helproom is the 'meat & two veg' and Speaker's corner is the dessert (just in some cases)

Whilst not having a sweet tooth I eat sparingly of the 'main course' but gorge myself on the dessert!!

There I go again - finding similes for everything :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video