Would it be too much to ask if...

pj123 17:05 20 Jan 06

posters could actually speak in english so that we can all understand what is being said.

I have just tried to read a thread which I thought I might be able to help with but I couldn't understand a word of it.

OK some of you out there might understand this "texting" language but I don't and I am not particularly interested in learning it.

SG Atlantis® 17:27 20 Jan 06

everyone speaks english here, "texting" language I have seen many members use this to a degree and it's acceptable, it's now in schools!

watchful 17:36 20 Jan 06

It's not acceptable to me I'm afraid and standards must be slipping if it's accepted in schools.
A little bit of it is OK in posts but only if it's obvious what the word is.

SG Atlantis® 17:36 20 Jan 06

what thread, post a link please.

pj123 17:44 20 Jan 06

SG Atlantis®, I am trying to do that. But as I couldn't understand a word of what was being said I took no notice of it. So I don't know what Forum I was in. Give me some time and I will find it.

PaulB2005 18:33 20 Jan 06

I understand the sentiment of the thread but you risk alienating those who don't have good English skills for reasons you may not have considered such as personal, mental and physical difficulties as well as those with English as a second / third / forth etc language.

English as a second language and reasons beyond some peoples control that mean they can't type well or form a simple sentence with correct English grammar and "texting" language might be the easiest way for them to community.

If you don't understand the thread - ignore it or ask politely for a clarification.

PaulB2005 18:34 20 Jan 06

"texting" language might be the easiest way for them to communicate.

Too fast with the spell chekcer....

VoG II 18:44 20 Jan 06

I also find these posts written in text language difficult to understand. But, even worse are those written with no punctuation. However, I persevere ...

stalion 19:05 20 Jan 06

Texting should be used as a last resort not the norm, if it's the only way someone can post then they have to use it.But one thing to remember if we can not read or understand your post then we can not help

IPA 19:13 20 Jan 06

I think that text messaging on a mobile phone is understandable because of space limitations but when you want to reach a broad audience, it may be preferable not to use all the abbreviations, as the true nuances of the language will not be apparent or understood.
However, I equally understand that, for what ever reason, some people might find texting easier to use .
Either way I try to keep an open mind!

Chris the Ancien 19:29 20 Jan 06

Remember, the poster may not be fluent in English or its use. We know full well that there are regular contributors to this forum who even admit to it.

In the forum, we're here to try and help people with their computer problems; not their English.

However, the poster who descends to SMS TXT language will, of course, not be helping their own cause because of its potential of alienating people.

But hey, live and let live?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017