Would double punishment be fair?

canarieslover 15:55 01 Nov 09

As much as I deplore this behavior, surely punishment by the courts should be an end to the matter. click here. If he was in any other job would people want him to be banned for life from earning his living?

octal 16:35 01 Nov 09

On the other hand like any other employer he tries to get a job with they will question why the last employer sacked him, do you think he will get another job in football again? He'll be lucky to get a job filling shelves in the local supermarket and even they are picky. He already has 13 previous convictions, including one for violence against women, so anyone giving him a job will certainly take that into account. It seems he has a track record of violence.

Awshum 16:36 01 Nov 09

The court's punnishment is absolutely fair, as long as he's remorseful he should be allowed to go back to the game. Though I'm not sure any reputable team would want a man known for violence against women on their team.

bri-an 16:44 01 Nov 09

Football is big business, and anyone with the skill to perform and make money for the owners will find a place. Cynical, but true I'm afraid.

OTT_Buzzard 17:11 01 Nov 09

True, but big business involves big marketing. Would any other club be prepared to face the repercussions from the fans for employing him the future?

Bapou 17:32 01 Nov 09

Supporters of the club which signs him won't give a toss about his off field record. His first couple of vital goals and they will have forgotten.

Opposition fans will give him stick but what the hell, a thick skin and 25 grand a week will make all the difference.

I have no doubt his agent has a couple of clubs already interested.

Forum Editor 17:37 01 Nov 09

by what happened, and that is obviously colouring her reaction. She was punched hard in the face by a fully-grown man because she rejected his crude sexual advances. She has a permanently damaged face as a result of the assault, and her attacker has lost his job.

It seems to me that he'll pay for his violence in more ways than one, and that's probably as it should be. Personally I despise men who do this kind of thing, and I have zero sympathy for him.

spuds 17:40 01 Nov 09

Apparently if media reports are correct, the sentence was a racial issue, and had very little to do with this complaint or the other previous problems.

Media reports were also suggesting that a few clubs will not offer him a job on his release, but others will, especially if its a free transfer arrangement.

bri-an 17:58 01 Nov 09

Yes, I agree with bapou's remarks - if he's good enough at the game it won't matter much (except it's unlikely he would be offered an 'international' teamplace).
Like FE, I also despise the behaviour of this thug.
I'm afraid I don't quite understand what spuds means by "the sentence was a racial issue".

Forum Editor 18:09 01 Nov 09

the sentence was a racial issue? Can you explain that please?

This man has previous convictions for violence against women, dishonesty, and drink driving. He tried to deny the offence, saying it was a case of mistaken identity, despite independent witnesses giving evidence to the contrary.

I imagine that his refusal to plead guilty to what was a serious assault, and his previous record of violence against women were governing factors as far as his sentence was concerned. Race doesn't come into it, does it?

interzone55 19:00 01 Nov 09

A previous record of violence, including a prison term, hasn't stopped Joey Barton finding regular work...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5