Worst "free" offer ever?

PalaeoBill 18:50 08 Sep 09

The more I think about this, the worse it seems/sounds.
The Daily Mail is currently running a "Free DigiBox Set Top Box for every reader". To get this box requires 60 vouchers, one voucher in each newspaper and 4 need to come from Sunday papers. The offer ends early in Novermber. You will have to pay for postage & packing but they haven't told you how much this will be yet. The offer also states that they can take up to 56 days from the close of the offer (not when they receive the vouchers) to deliver your free box.
I was tempted to collect the vouchers from the discarded papers from my local barber shop as I don't get the Mail every day. Just so they have to send out at least one but I'm not sure that I can be bothered.
Does anyone know of a worse/more difficult to get free offer?

tein 19:23 08 Sep 09

PalaeoBill Thats a terrible offer! Id rather not bother!!!

click here

oresome 19:28 08 Sep 09

I saw a desktop PC the other day that offered a free upgrade to Windows 7. Reading the small print, it actually cost £20 p&p for the disc.

Perhaps not a bad offer, but not free.

ronalddonald 19:32 08 Sep 09

the economic climate do you really want something for nothing. The best things in life are free, you can of course go to your local supermarket and find out if they sell them there and buy them.

Now you have to the maths 60 times the cost the newspaper and assume around a £5.00 for postage plus scart lead, plus an upgraded aerial, I be better of going to asda and by one from there they got one around £22.00

dagbladet 20:09 08 Sep 09

OK... but if you already had the DM every day anyway and really wanted a digibox. Might as well?

cream. 20:59 08 Sep 09

where you build a kit plane over several weeks;-) not a freebie but

164 editions @ £5 a time.

Thats £820 to build a kit toy plane.

Kaacee 21:01 08 Sep 09

Was thinking of that one myself cream...now thats what you call a rip off.

PalaeoBill 21:27 08 Sep 09

I've had a good look through the currently available boxes and the catalogue of discontinued ones and I can't find anything even remotely similar to the image in the paper (see tein's link).
It says that it has an EPG and one SCART connection. Anyone any idea what it is?

mr simon 21:30 08 Sep 09

An EPG is an electronic program guide, and a scart connection is useful for older TV's.

Covergirl 21:40 08 Sep 09

I was particularly interested in the HMS Suprise but 28 weeks @ £20 per week is stretching it a little click here

Hachette are another company - the Flying Scotsman was one I saw about a year ago - Price : issue 1 £0.50, issue 2 £2.99, issue 3 onwards £4.99 Number of issues : 125 click here

As for the Freeview box, it looks like one of those mass produced no-brands where the importer sticks their own brand label on it - you might find them on market stalls or cheap electrical shops (if you know what I mean).

It's really amazing that well established newspapers have to stoop to such depths to try get sales, but then again, all business seems to be taking the cut throat nowadays.

interzone55 21:50 08 Sep 09

Daily Mail, like a lot of newspapers, are in deep financial problems.

They've just announced that all the Metro regional offices will shut shortly, and I can't really see the Metro itself lasting much longer.

Guardian Media Group are currently considering shutting The Observer, which will be a real tragedy, as it's the oldest, and only decent Sunday paper.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5