Worm king rewarded!

phredd 22:28 22 Sep 04

An article in today's paper will give no pleasure to the millions of businesses and innocent computer users who were bedevilled by viruses during the early part of the year. A Firewall company has given the perpetrator (due to appear in court next month) a full-time job as a trainee programmer.

The technical director says 'My company has no problem with him - he has been inaccurately portrayed in the media' Of course his company doesn't make any gain out of increased sales of software designed to guard against these attacks does it!!!

'He is just a normal kid who has made mistakes', and 'it is not right that he has received death threats and his father has lost his job because of this'.

Maybe it is just a publicity stunt and the director is hoping it will be a very long time before the 'kid' will be free to take up his training position. It depends how seriously the court views the effect of the worldwide disruption of computer systems, the enormous cost and the potential dangers of vital systems being compromised.

I was one of the lucky ones who was unaffected directly but I know there are many of you out there who have bitter memories of the misery the worms caused.

Deserving of praise and reward - I don't think so!

stalion 22:32 22 Sep 04

they are still causing misery and will continue to do so I suspect.Regards

Forum Editor 23:26 22 Sep 04

it isn't a new concept, and if it helps to avert future problems I for one am all for it. I'm not one of those people who think that because you've made a mistake in life you can't be allowed to atone in some way. This person is young and may have had little idea about the implications of his actions at the time. I'm one of the first to condemn virus writers - in my workaday life I probably see the consequences of their work more than many, but I doubt that an attitude of vengeance is the best way for us to approach such crimes - death threats are a ridiculous reaction.

No doubt a court of law will pronounce sentence, and in due course a penalty will be paid. Let's leave the process of law to handle that, and leave the company involved to employ whoever it sees fit.

Dorsai 08:32 25 Sep 04

Are you suggesting then that no-one should ever give him a job ever, after he comes out of prison/finished his punishment etc?

If so, he will either turn to crime to feed & clothe himself, or sponge of the state for the rest of his life.

Or do you think that he should not be allowed to work with computers? If so, that sort of amounts to the same thing, given the prevelance of PC's in todays workplace.

Or what?

spuds 11:36 25 Sep 04

If this just doesn't turn out as a publicity stunt for the company involved, and the 'kid' as the ongoing training by employment within the computer industry,then I am all fot it.There are many young whizz kids out there, who are bored stiff with lack of help in diverting their talents, hence their 'fun'activities, which we all know were that can lead.

Dorsai 23:43 25 Sep 04

Nail, head, hit it, on the.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…