Worlds Tallest Building - lift failure

Seth Haniel 14:43 10 Feb 10

click here

A group of terrified tourists have told how they were trapped in a lift for almost an hour 124 floors above the ground in the world's tallest building.

Visitors on the observation deck half-mile-high Burj Khalifa heard a loud boom, then saw dust that looked like smoke seeping through a crack in a lift door.

The 15 people inside were trapped for 45 frightening minutes until rescuers managed to pry open the doors.

One of those trapped in the elevator said that the lights went off and the car began to fall before the brakes kicked in.

Because the elevator was apparently stuck between floors, workers had to drop a ladder into the shaft so those inside could crawl out.

wiz-king 15:58 10 Feb 10

I dont think you could hand-wind that one!

canarieslover 18:41 10 Feb 10

Certainly a cure for constipation!!!

spuds 18:46 10 Feb 10

Not a very nice experience, especially if you are of the nervous or weak hearted type.

Quite a few years ago I had the 'pleasure' of being stuck in a fast speed elevator, that had stopped part way on its journey. When the car was lowered to a rescue point, some of the females including one gent who had an asthma attack required urgent medical help. Its the thought of what might happen next, that kicks into the survival mode, others just lose it!.

morddwyd 19:37 10 Feb 10

Doesn't matter if you're on Floor 124 or 24, it's a long drop - keep your knees bent!

Longest I've been stuck is two hours.

Half a dozen of us, all from the same outfit, and we'd already been to half a dozen hostelries, so it was pretty painless, except for the seaweed (bladderwrack, for those who don't know).

Mr Mistoffelees 20:36 10 Feb 10

If I ever go there I'll be sure to take a parachute.

tullie 20:50 10 Feb 10

Must be interesting if fire alarm go off,and you have to use the stairs?

interzone55 08:46 11 Feb 10

This just shows that the safety features built into all lifts worked properly, as soon as the lift starts to free fall the breaks kick in and bring it to a stop.

The problem is that when the brakes lock on the lift can't be hand wound up or down to bring the doors level to a floor, so passengers have to be evacuated through the roof escape hatch, which is why it's there.
The lift will not move again until the brakes have been dismantled and replaced...

Labdweller 18:02 11 Feb 10

I'm not certain that 'interesting' would best describe how someone would feel when facing the prospect of descending so many steps.

I once, however, had an amusing experience where whilst the boss was sent to a meeting room on the 36th floor I was at reception collecting a vendor and just as before we were able to also get onto the lift the fire alarms in the building went off. It took my boss about 15 minutes to appear at ground floor.

sunnystaines 20:35 11 Feb 10

going up a tall building after flying to the destination is a bit of an anticimax.
found that out after going to toronto.

sunnystaines 20:37 11 Feb 10

will there be a guiness book of records entry for the fastest person up the staircase? this year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…