World's longest single-span bridge ....

Seth Haniel 12:56 09 Jul 07

... could link two halves of town
click here

anskyber 13:38 09 Jul 07

Bonkers idea.

The two halves of the town are not separated by water. The bridge would link two parts of Hartlepool which are connected by dry land and which are simply in different parts of a shallow sweep in a bay. £20 million pounds of wasted money.

anskyber 13:42 09 Jul 07

PS nether is the town intwo halves. The population of the Headland is a very small part of the town of Hartlepool. click here

TopCat® 14:59 09 Jul 07

"The race is on to design and build one of the world's greatest bridges..." I wish them success, but if it's design is anything like the Humber or Forth road bridge then I hope they take note of what is happening to the latter one.

I watched a recent documentary on the Forth road bridge - click here - where problems had been found in the two main massive support cables that ultimately carry the bridge's weight. These consist of hundreds of individual cables around 10mm in diameter and when made up were wrapped and sealed in various ways to stop the ingress of water.

Opened in 1964, the current bridge engineers have found water has still managed to get in and, one by one and over time, these mini interior cables are rusting through and parting. There are now many acoustic sensors fitted along these cables and a regular check is maintained for further breakages. In the meantime, engineers and bridge designers are trying to come up with a solution to save the bridge.

Not that the bridge is going to collapse any time soon, we hope, but I reckon they've got some task on their hands to come up with the right answer. Then there's the other UK suspension bridges of that same design to consider as well. TC.

Stuartli 15:27 09 Jul 07

You are probably thinking of the most recent of the Coast series on BBC2 - always a riveting programme.

Seth Haniel 15:27 09 Jul 07

have to do something with all the council tax money they're getting from us :)

It'll be a shortcut to get to see the 'Andy Capp' Statue ;)

Stuartli 15:33 09 Jul 07

In any case it will not be the longest single-span bridge in the world by a long chalk judging by this link:

click here

The Honshu-Shikoku Bridge took over the Humber bridge's honour.

anskyber 15:36 09 Jul 07

You're right. I assure you my comments were not intended to be anti Hartlepool.

Diemmess 16:08 09 Jul 07

Corrosion is causing similar problems on the M48 ("old Severn crossing").

Both Severn Crossings were leased to a French consortium and the old one is closed at any excuse if the wind is the wrong sort.

When the second crossing opened the "thinkers" decided it would save lots of money if both bridges had tolls only on entering the Welsh side.
HVs in abundance now use the bridges in one direction only and complete a circular tour of the Severn estuary by loading the deplorable A48 from Gloucester to Chepstow.

Result, panic, Gatso cameras, almost totally speed resricted, white lines all over the place, and still the accident rate stays high.

Oh, and the D of T has de-trunked the road which presumbably puts the cost of road maintenance on the County Council and Council tax payers.

It wouldn't surprise me if the old crossing is closed when upkeep becomes inconveniently expensive.

Seth Haniel 16:08 09 Jul 07

Maybe this is longest single span foot bridge ?!!

Stuartli 16:17 09 Jul 07

It could be, but the paper's headline clearly states:

"World's longest single-span bridge could link two halves of town"

It would have been very easy to use footbridge rather than bridge...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…